Thursday, September 18, 2008

She's got a ticket to ride

So yesterday I got the boys ice cream cones at McD on Horizon. As I contemplated the best route to Saguaro park from there (Equestrian? Magic?) I chose the lesser-traveled Magic for its straight shot. I followed a truck for a while, thinking distractedly about the rest of the day when the dreaded flashing red and blue lights appeared in my rear-view mirror.

The boys said, "Hooray! A police man, Mama!"

And I said, "Oh crap," which I never say.


***

"Ma'am, I need to see your driver's license, registration, and insurance," he said.

I fumbled around for a second, and produced everything, including an insurance card valid through last month.

"Hmmmm, this expired a while ago," he tsk-tsked.

I wanted to say, "Yeah, the card but not the insurance," but I thought better of it.

***

While he processed my information, I felt whiny and defiant. What about the truck I was following? Hello, if he'd been going 15 in the school zone, *I'd* be going 15 in the school zone. I didn't even know there was a school zone there. And see all those other people NOT going 15 mph? Yeah, I hope you get those people, too.

Harrison asked, "Mom, are you going to jail? Will you get locked in a cage?"

***

At the park I called Bryce. "I was hoping he might just let me off," I said, looking for sympathy.

"Let you off? Why? Because you're cute?"

"No, because I had two ice-cream-holding kids in the back seat," I whimpered.

"Rebecca, that's the reason you got a ticket. To keep law-breaking people like you off the road."

Ouch.

***

Later I picked Mary up from school. "Mom, I heard you tell dad that you got a ticket. Is that true?"

"Yes, it is," I said.

"So basically . . . you're a criminal?"

"No, I made a mistake and I'm going to make up for it now," I replied. "I didn't see the school zone sign and I got pulled over."

"How did you not see the sign? I mean, isn't it RIGHT THERE? I can see that stop sign way down there, and you couldn't see the school zone sign right in front of you?"

"I didn't notice it, and got a ticket for going 10 mph over the speed limit. And I'm going to pay my fine and it'll be okay," I explained.

"I just don't see how you could be SPEEDING in a school zone, because--"

"MARY!!!! Zip it."

***

At Mutual that night, I passed Tyce's friend Gonzalo in the hall. I thought he looked particularly friendly towards me, perhaps because he had a nice time playing at our house that one day.

He stopped me and said, "Hey, I saw you today."

"You did?" I asked, brightly.

"Yeah, I saw you get pulled over today after school!"

Oh Gonzalo, why must you broadcast my shame?

6 comments:

Tracey said...

Oh my gosh, I really can't stop laughing. Not because you got a ticket, but because you are so funny when you tell a story.
Ouch on that $500. That hurts.

Aranne and Dan said...

oops!!! that can hurt and it much worse when your kids tell you that you are doing something wrong. Oh. well we all learn from our mistakes.

Dad77345 said...

That's what they made Defensive Driving courses for. The computer course isn't too bad but it's timed to make sure you actually watch the videos and read the materials prior to taking the test. In TX it costs $35 which sounds much better than the $500 ticket price. Ah, the price of distraction.

The Hardy's said...

$500.00??!! Holy Schmoley. I'm so sorry. Isn't it so embarrassing when someone you know see's you pulled off to the side of the road?!

I love the new look on your blog. Change every once in a while is good.

Natalie said...

Stink!!! I hate when you get caught the one time your not paying attention. Even supermoms aren't invincible. Sorry!

Rebecca and Co. said...

Thanks for your sympathys. I knew you'd all come through for me. LOL Wah! I'm pretty sure I can get the ticket reduced if I take defensive driving. If anyone has any pointers on that, please advise.