Sunday, October 4, 2009

If you chance to meet a . . . what?

This morning Cameron pounced on my bed, like he does every morning at 6:30 a.m. He's my little alarm clock. He brings me toys and I vroom cars and bounce stuffed animals with one eye open. It's not as easy as it sounds to come up with kid-friendly plot lines when my last thoughts were of being lost on a beach with bad-boy Sawyer, in a most-delicious dream . . .


Ahem. As I was saying.


Today Cameron brought us 2-inch plastic slinkies--a black one for him, a purple one for me.


Look! It's a circle. Now it's a spy glass. Snap it on your nose and you're a witch doctor.


Then he arched one into a frown on his face.


I hummed, "Hum hum hum hum humhumhum....." and asked, "do you know that song?"


"Yep," said Cameron.


"If you chance to meet a  . . . " I sang, pausing for Cam to fill in the blank.


"FRIEND," he said.


I looked at him with a raised eyebrow, waiting for a sign that he was teasing me. But he was serious.


Oh, what a sad song that would be to learn in nursery!


If you chance to meet a friend, do not let it stay!
Quickly turn it upside down and smile that friend away!


Poor little guy. It's a wonder he's as normal as he is, thinking that this happy song at church is really about how to get your classmates to take a hike and leave you the heck alone.


8 comments:

Emmy said...

Lol! That would be a pretty sad version. And that must be quite the smile to get your friend to leave :)

Rachel McEwen said...

so funny! I just love it!

Denalee said...

I hope you plan to write a book, Rebecca. It won't be much work - just compile all your blogs. I'll be first in line to buy it.

I loved Elder Scott's talk as well. While listening to it I wondered how conference can just get better and better. There were a few that I need to study like crazy. Pres Eyring's talk Sunday morning - and how about Elder Holland's? Amazing. Right near the top of the list for our family was Presiden't Monson's. I love how he captivates the kids ... my kids all were touched and want to start doing more for others now. All-in-all, a perfect weekend. Can't wait for it to come out in print.

.... now if I'll just be diligent and study them ....

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha That really funny!!!!

Mopsie said...

It IS funny, but your closing line was the punchline, making me laugh out loud! I love the way you write, and even if I wasn't your Mom, I'd be first in line to buy your books. (I'll thumb-wrestle you for line status, Denalee.)

The Hardy's said...

Who is Bad Boy Sawyer? HHMM?! now there's a side of you I have never seen before.

Rebecca and Co. said...

From the TV show LOST. Bryce said that that part of the post was highly inappropriate, LOL.

dave said...

this made me laugh out loud--so funny! that picture is darling.

ps. i end up taking down about half the things i write due to dave's veto of inappropriateness. (i'm glad you left it up :-)