Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Our Story of Adoption--Part 7

In Bryce's third and final year of law school we got a letter from Casa.

Dear Foster Families,

Casa de Esperanza is moving our group homes in the direction of family-based care. Children in long-term foster care thrive when in a family setting. To that end, we are contacting our foster families to see if any would like to move in and manage a group home of four to six special children. You would be provided with a home, a vehicle, a stipend and a small salary in exchange for your two-year committment.

Sincerely,
Foster Care Coordinator

I read it and passed it on to Bryce.

"This sounds great," Bryce said, pushing play on the VCR for Tyce's nightly viewing of The Lion King. "Those kids definitely need the stability."

"I hope they find people to do that. It was nice of Teresa to think of us."

"It looks like they sent it to everyone."

"Oh. Maybe. You're sure it doesn't have anything to do with our awesome track record of raising one child
for a whole year?" I asked in mock seriousness.

"Oh yes, I'm sure that played a major factor in sending out the form letter," Bryce teased.

He took a fake punch to the shoulder. "Let's go watch Simba with our little Simba," I said. "He grows up so fast out there on his own--we don't want to miss the good parts when he's still young."

******

That night in bed I couldn't sleep.

"Bryce," I whispered. "Bryce. Are you awake?"

"No."

"Not even a little?"

"Okay, fine, a little," he said, rolling over to face me. "This had better be good."

"I'm just wondering what you're going to do after graduation," I ventured.

"What I'm going to do after graduation is jump up and down. After that I'm going to study for the Bar. And I just might sneak in a little vacation with you in there somewhere," he added, kissing my hand.

"I mean, for a job," I said, rolling my eyes. "And I want to go to San Francisco, in case you're taking requests."

"Well, I know what kind of work I want to do, and I know what kind of work I don't. And I don't want to work 90 hours a week in a huge law firm. I don't mind working hard but my first priority is my family. I couldn't stand being away from you and Tyce that long. So we'll have to see what comes along. You never know. We'll have to keep praying and have faith that things will work out."

"You're right," I said. "I know things will work out."

*******

During my workdays when I'd file papers, answer phones, and prepare reports, I fantasized about the day when my full-time job would include doing puzzles, playing ball, and making snacks for my son.

I thought about those kids in the group home. I thought about myself in the group home. I even thought about myself running a group home.

The Letter.

I found myself thinking more and more about the letter.

But we'd dismissed that idea, hadn't we? Bryce went to school to be a lawyer. Why would he take a two-year detour before he even got started?

The Letter.

You should pray about it, said the angel on my shoulder.

Don't do it! You don't want to hear the answer! countered the devil.

And then the angel kicked that devil right in the shins.

5 comments:

Emmy said...

So awesome and amazing. You guys truly have dedicated your lives to serving and helping so many children. And look at the wonderful blessings that are now part of your family because of it.

Mopsie said...

Awesome. And yes, you made me cry again. I want to watch the Lion King with Tyce. I want to play with baby Mary. I want to go back, just for a while, and enjoy their younger selves. Ah well . . .

Denalee said...

Oh Rebecca ... you've made me cry. And it's only 7am. I'll be teary all day. Keep writing. I need to hear more!

Tracey said...

I want to keep reading and reading, you need to post these stories a little faster.
I love reading them!!!

SweetmamaK said...

Wonderful to read this, even though I've heard you tell this story in person, I just love to read it. You are a wonderful person and I count as my many blessings having the chance to know you here on earth.