Wednesday, August 6, 2008

And they all go marching down . . .

I question kids' movies about talking animals. Is it less threatening to teach a lesson through a talking penguin? Is it cuter to look at a pig than a person? I like animals. But I don't know if an ANT is really qualified to teach others how to act. I seem to remember getting some pretty wicked ant bites when I lived in Texas.

A few weeks ago the kids and I saw "Ant Bully" at the $1 summer movie. I saw "A Bug's Life" and "Antz" and I was truly skeptical that a third movie starring members of the Formicidae family would be worth my time. So here's the annoying thing. I totally liked it. And the kids liked it. Someone might even wonder if ants are more evolved than people, because look how everything turned out in the movie--those bugs taught that boy a pretty good lesson.

Well guess what. We have ants in the house. I know they're the geniuses of the insect world and could probably teach me a thing or two. That's not lost on me. I'm sorry, but I have to wipe my conscience clean of those images. Outside in their world = cute. Inside in MY world = ewwww. Call PETA if you must. Let the chemical warfare commence.

2 comments:

Mopsie said...

Ants in the house are NOT acceptable! And they're kind of hard to get rid of. We've certainly had our share of ant incidents, pretty much every place we've lived. The most effective thing for us was putting some anti-ant powder behind the electrical outlet cover plates. The pest control guy (Barry the Bug Man) gave it to us. GOOD LUCK!

Anonymous said...

Great work.