Sunday, August 24, 2008

5 Things

Ashley tagged me--I feel so cool. Ashley is one of the best 12-year-olds around, and the fact that she wants to know five things about me . . . well, you can see she is very mature for her age. j/k

1. I've started listening the the Christian radio station. This is very recent, as in only a few days now, but I'm liking it. It plays an interesting mix of ballads (a lot), rock (a lot), country (a little), and rap (one, that I've heard so far). In Houston there is a Christian radio station with the tag line "God Listens." I've always loved the marketing on that one.

2. I'm a perfectionist. Not in the self-congratulatory way--I'm not a snob. This means that the things I do, I do with all my heart. For example, my church callings--all the way. But then housework--hmmm, if conditions are perfect and the stars have aligned, then great. Otherwise, I save it for when things are just right (meaning the kids aren't underfoot, I'm not too tired)--or there's a crisis and I have to mobilize the troops to MOVE MOVE MOVE! (Read: I'm about to have visitors). So I guess you could say that I'm also a procrastinator. I am working on being more middle-of-the-road on ordinary things.

3. I like black TV shows, always have. As a kid I watched Sanford and Son, What's Happening?, and Good Times. I still love those! And of course The Cosby Show, like everyone else. In recent years I've enjoyed Everybody Hates Chris (love it!), Tyler Perry's House of Payne, and The Bernie Mac Show. I was really, really sad to hear that Bernie Mac died this month. We like to watch Everybody Hates Chris with the kids, though I have to weed out the ones with a more mature subject matter (like when Chris got his first kiss at a spin-the-bottle party). We can't have our innocent children getting ideas now, can we?

4. One of my many pet peeves are people who are know-it-alls, show-offs, or one-uppers. Please forgive me if I've ever done that to you, because that would certainly be the pot calling the kettle black. I used to have a friend who was pretty much all three of those rolled into one. After many conversations and outings, one time we went to a seminar together. I said, "That was really interesting how the presenter used this device," and she said something like, "Actually, it was more like this . . ." and I nearly lost it. I got kind of combative (nicely) and started making arguments I didn't even believe in because I was just so sick of being pushed down.

5. I think I'm a good cook. I'm not a great baker but I love to plan meals. The first cooking I ever did was in college and my first attempts were not too great. But I gained a working knowledge of how things go together, and now I like to modify, and even create recipes. Did you know that I am a Taste of Home field editor? A very lucky break on my part, I will say, having moved to a less-populated state when they were looking for new field editors. I know I'm not the BEST cook out there but I really enjoy it, which is handy when 5:00 rolls around!

So there you have it. I tag Carmen, Brooklyn, Jenny, Kilee, Kim O., Kim H., Merridee, Mom, Natalie, Rachel, Shannon, Sofie, Stephanie, and Tyce. (But only if you want to.)

P.S. We have watched the Olympics (some) and I feel lame that I've never mentioned it.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

LOL! You are so funny! Especially about the perfectionist in your calling! I totally get that! You put 100% into whatever calling you have!

C.A.L.L.L.L. said...

When you refer to your first cooking attempts in college, do you mean your famous veg-all ramen casserole? That was the strangest thing I've ever seen in my life! You've come a long way baby! So do I have to tell five things about myself now? How can I ever choose just five? :)

Rebecca and Co. said...

Yes, that was awesomely bad. That's where creativity and naivete create an unfortunate union. LOL

You could always tell five things about yourself, five days a week, for five months . . . :)

Tracey said...

Thanks for noticing that Ashley tagged me too, I have a really hard time coming up with stuff.