Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Family Home Evening

Last night the three kids (minus Tyce) and I went with the sister missionaries to Alice's house. Alice moved here with her husband and 5 kids after Hurricane Katrina. She is a lady who is taking the discussions, and we were there to do Family Home Evening on the Plan of Salvation. It went well.

You know how some people just exude awesomeness? I think Alice is amazing. There was something special about their family because the twins kept saying on the way home, "I had so much fun." Her house is tiny, but it's clean; it's crowded, but it's full of laughter. The sister missionaries brought popcorn to share, and then Alice brought out some candy and one of her boys offered our boys some leftover chicken. I was worried about dropping popcorn or spilling red Gatorade but Alice kept saying, "It's okay, don't worry about it, Keyshawn will sweep that up later, CJ can clean up a spill," and I was like, I am the most uptight person in the world. Because I couldn't stop micromanaging my kids, even if it was just in my mind.

I admired how she made me feel comfortable in her home. I wish I were more relaxed and could make people feel comfortable like that. I wish I had less anxiety about everything. I'm one of those hovering people who always has to make sure nothing goes wrong, but guess what, sometimes things go wrong. And intellectually I know that it's okay. It's like I feel that it's somehow my fault--that the cup was too big, or the chair too wobbly, or the floor too sticky, or whatever. How can I learn to let go? Hmmmm, I am working myself up just thinking about it.

Anyway, I hope that Alice and her family will join us at church. She is a wonderful lady.

And that's the point of this post. That other stuff is just the internal dialogue I hear when the other voices in my head are on vacation.

2 comments:

Rachel McEwen said...

Hi Rebecca, I am glad that you found me! I love being able to view others blogs and see what the happenings are in each family. I am excited to check in on you and your family:) I am going to add you to my list if you dont' mind?

Rebecca and Co. said...

Sure, that's fine! And I will add you.