Friday, August 8, 2008

Book Club

No one finished the book, and until Karrie showed up and trumped me, I had read the most pages (5). With all the kids home I didn't do much (any?) reading this summer. Did that stop the awesomeness? Not one bit.

Angie suggested we turn our book club into a little writer's group for the evening. So everyone picked a different genre and began writing for 5 minutes. Every five minutes we stopped and passed our papers to the left, picking up where the previous author had left off. Finally the person who began the story read the completed work.

Here is one; I will post the others whenever I get a round tuit. Perhaps you can tell where one writer stopped and another began!

ROMANCE

Upon entering the lecture hall, Brad noticed a beautiful woman seated in the back of the room. As he ascended the stairs, he intently kept his eyes on her, hoping to make eye contact before being seated. His mind should have been on his looming final exam, but he couldn't suppress the thrill that ran up his spine when his eyes met the woman's' gaze. She had green eyes, he noticed, and a faint blush rose in her cheeks as Brad approached her chair.

"Do I know you?" she asked.

"I don't think so, but I'd be happy to change that. I'm Brad." He held out his hand and she lifted hers to meet it. Her hand was soft and her grip firm. He hadn't expected that. He looked deeply into her eyes and was overwhelmed by her beauty. He took a deep breath and tried to think of something to say.

"I'm Cindy," she said. "What brings you Ancient Civilizations?"

"Where?" Her beauty was so distracting.

"Ancient Civilizations," she repeated. "You know, the class we're in right now."

"Oh yes, Ancient Civilizations. I've always been fascinated by the Icelandic peoples. They've always intrigued me." The Icelandic peoples, he thought. What was I thinking?

"Uh huh," she said. "Too bad this class is about the Aztecs and the Mayans."

"Oh, well I like them, too," he stammered. He didn't feel like he was making a very good impression.

"Well, the least you could do is take a seat," Cindy said. "The lecture is about to start."

"Ummmm, right," stammered Brad. "Can I chair in the sit next to you?" Stupid, stupid, stupid! Brad cursed in his mind.

"Class, the ancient Mayans had a ritualistic tradition regarding marriage. First, the young tribesman would state his intention to court the maiden of his choice. Then the father would either accept or decline his gift, usually of a goat's head. If he accepted, then the couple were married that day. If the father denied the gift, then the would-be suitor was thrown into the pit of grievance, as a sacrifice to the gods."

Brad looked at Cindy. "Good thing I'm not Mayan," he thought dismally.

THE END . . .
or is it?

2 comments:

Miss said...

HI Rebecca,
Please add us and would you mind if I add you? LOVE your blog. By the way do you know that you are the mose photogenic person? All your pictures, even the ones that you are being silly in are gorgeous! Love your book list, too.

Stephanie

Rebecca and Co. said...

Well now you know who adds the photos to the blog--me! I tell ya, I weed out A LOT of unflattering ones. LOL Thank you for the kind words--I totally take that as a compliment coming from such a beautiful person as you!!!!

Yes, please add me.