Saturday, August 2, 2008

The 8th Grade Me

Okay, you're dying to know what was in those journals, aren't you? Don't lie. I've picked out a few entries to share, so no sneaking into my room when I'm not home. As I've said before, my journals are full of stressing about school work, testimony-building experiences and declarations of wanting to choose the right, and, of course BOY DRAMA.

Sept. 10, 1987 (Thursday)

I should record this as the worst day of my life. First, Mom yelled at me because I missed the bus. History was a bore, I broke a test tube in Science, no real problems in Engligh, but I'm 2nd chair again to Jason in Band, I really almost threw up after running only one lap in PE, I was SO bored in Computer Lit., and I made less than a 50 on the math warm-up. I also lost the election for reporter in Band. I can hardly think of ONE good thing that happened today. I'm glad I'm going to sleep so this day will just go away. Maybe this is a test to see how good of a Beehive president I will be.

October 24, 1987 (Saturday)

I found my History book in the Lost and Found after a book check. Thank heavens! Chad S. is so so so sooo fine!! He is a total babe! He always says hi and bye to me. Kenny L. has the most adorable personality! He put his arm around me and said, "Let's walk to class," and I said, "Sure, Kenny," and oh, he is so adorable! But the thing is that none of them like me for more than a friend. Total bummer. Do I like John? I wish I could hook a lie detector to every boy to find out who they really like.

February 6, 1988 (Saturday--10:09 p.m.)

Chris just called me and confirmed plans to go to the movies next Saturday. We're going to see "For Keeps" at 8:00 with some other couples. Chris said he'd pick me up at 7:45 AND pay my way. My immediate reaction was I'd pay for myself, but he'd said it was his pleasure for him to pay, so I said okay. How sweet!

Mom said she couldn't believe she's letting me go on a DATE (not a date, Mom--a GROUP DATE) and stay out so late. She said I'm supposed to wait till I'm 14 to go on group dates, and I, with my logic, said, "Mom, I was in your stomach for 9 months, so technically Ive been 14 since July." Can you believe a sister missionary told me that! She doesn't know what Dad will say about staying out so late but if he says no or something, I will scream!!! I REALLY want to go. Being a young woman in the Church is hard when most of your friends aren't Mormon.

March 17, 1988 (Thursday)

I haven't written in quite a while. There have been MAJOR goings-on in my little world. First, Derrell and Stephanie went together and broke up. Derrell was really upset. Tonight, John actually got up enough courage to ask her and she said yes!!! He asked her in the Band hall after the concert. He is so happy! Words cannot describe how happy he is. He still can't believe it. Well, with the birth of every relationship there is also a death. Unfortunately, the death happens to be mine. This afternoon I hated Chris so much that I was going to write a note and break up. I think I will.

March 18, 1988 (Friday)

Today marks my second month anniversary with Chris. Today also marks the end of our relationship. I did break up, and I was so happy!!!! You would not BELIEVE how much I feel better. I'm free!!

***

Etc. etc. etc. Repeat for several more years.

5 comments:

C.A.L.L.L.L. said...

You had the life I wish I had had, boy drama and everything. Can I just copy those entries and put them in my own journal? Someday when my kids read it, they will think I was super cool.

Rebecca and Co. said...

LOL Carmen! You flatter me and my 8th grade sensibilities.

Bryce just read your comment and said, "What? Carmen, no boy drama? I don't believe it for a second!"

Betsy Fowler said...

oh my gosh...... this is the funniest blog entry I've ever read. Rebecca you are hilarious!

Rebecca and Co. said...

Betsy, I'm glad you appreciate my deep, deep thoughts.

Emmy said...

This is awesome! These will be good to remember when our girls suddenly start becoming boy crazy... it really is normal I guess ;)