Thursday, August 14, 2008

Birds and the Bees

This has been weighing heavily on me for some time, that I need talk with Mary about how bodies change and grow, where babies come from, etc. But whenever I really thought of it--like between DVD changes of Lord of the Rings, or right before piano lessons--it wasn't the right time. Well yesterday she asked, "If you felt like Heavenly Father wanted you to adopt three more children, would you?" and I said yes. And then, "If you then got pregnant with sextuplets, what would you do? Give some away?" and I said, no, I'd do the best with what I'd been given, because children are a gift from God.

She looked at me skeptically. In her eyes, I'm barely managing the four children we have now.

Anyway, she asked why I hadn't ever given birth, and how it worked. Ah ha! The moment had arrived.

So I turned on Caillou for the twins and took her to the back bedroom to talk. After I'd told her the basics, she wanted to know how we were mammals if we were created from an egg. That took a long time to explain, mostly because she kept interrupting me with other thoughts. She also had many questions on the mating rituals of humans, since she knows quite a bit about the mating rituals of lions, crocodiles, and cuttle fish. Thank you, Animal Planet. Let me just say, that girl isn't shy.

Some of her inquiries, while astute and/or hilarious, are not, shall we say, appropriate for a family blog.

So now I can cross "the talk" off of my list. Knowing Miss Mary, this won't be the last.

6 comments:

Rachel McEwen said...

LOL that is so funny!! Thank heavens my youngest is five..I still have a while before I have to give that little talk. I do dread that moment though already:)

Mer said...

Oh thank goodness that is my husbands job. I guess that is an advantage of having all boys. I will probably end up having to talk to our boys, knowing Randy.:)
Who knows what was said between Cameron and he when they had their talk. Niether one of them said much. He was only in there with him for 10 minutes or so.

brooklyn said...

mary is amazing! good for her (and why doesn't that surprise me?).

(i passed out at my school program.)

Rebecca and Co. said...

Rachel, it wasn't bad! You will do great when the time coomes.

Mer, Bryce is in charge of the boys in this area, so I'm pretty happy. LOL

Brooklyn, did you really pass out at school??? You poor girl! And here you are having your 3rd baby, so alls well that ends well, right? j/k RE: Mary, I'm not surprised that she asked me questions--but it is just so different than how I was at that age!

C.A.L.L.L.L. said...

You could do like my mom did and give her a book. I wonder if "When You Were Smaller Than a Dot" is still in print.

Tracey said...

I had to have "The Talk" with the kids when I had Quade, Skylar was really asking a lot of questions, so we sat the two down and started explaining, it went really well until I said the word vagina and Skylar and Quinton couldn't stop laughing. I'm sure we will have to have it again with her.