Friday, October 10, 2008

Lessons Learned

1. Yesterday I seeded and chopped chilis from Bryce's dad's garden, probably about 50. During the chopping it felt like something had stung me under my ring, so I took the ring off. A little while later it felt like part of my hand was kind of burning. By the time I was finished, both of my hands were on FIRE from the wicked hot chili oil.

Cold water felt wonderful...for the moment. But I couldn't very well stay submerged in an ice bucket all day. So I went online looking for remedies. You know I was desperate because I actually scrubbed my hands with bleach--straight bleach. You know, the base counteracting the acid and all that . . . and it didn't even hurt. I'm not sure if it helped, or if I'd just basically burned a layer of skin off by that point, but the pain lessened.

I told Mary, "Man, I can still feel my hands stinging today."

She said, "Well, I guess you've learned a good lesson."

And the lesson is: Wear gloves when you chop little chilis.



2. I got an e-mail informing me (and others) of an upcoming event in an organization. It asked our opinions on a certain subject, and to e-mail with any concerns. So I did. And I was politely informed that things were not changing, but thanks for my input.

Lesson learned: When people ask for your opinion, sometimes they don't really want your opinion.



3. I had a meeting with one of the Young Women classes, and afterward one of the members (Girl #1), who is super friendly and, I would say, "popular," confided in me how hurt she is by some of the other class members. They ignore her at school in favor of impressing a more "in" crowd--but at church they are buddy-buddy with her. So basically she feels like a "B List" friend--good enough when there's no one better around.

Our meeting was over, and Girl #1 and another class member, Girl #2 (a very witty but somewhat shy person, not one of the snubbers) left together. Afterward Girl #2 called and told me this: She, Girl #2, had always felt like an outsider, despite the fact Girl #1 would invite her to do stuff and try to be her friend. Though she really respected Girl #1, she believed that Girl #1 was just being friendly out of duty or obligation, so she always declined the offers.

After a long talk, Girl #2 realized how wrong she'd been. She had no idea that such a seemingly happy, outgoing person could be looking for a real friend too--and how she'd probably added to Girl #1's unhappiness by rejecting her invitations. Now the two of them are forging a friendship that benefits them both (and warms my heart.)

Lesson learned: A "popular" person can be lonely, and an "outsider" can be the kind of friend everyone wishes they had.

So luckily for me, I finish out the week a little wiser than I started.

5 comments:

FoReVeR WeLcH said...

Good thing you didnt rub your eyes....... at ANY point!!! i did that HOURS after chopping jalapinos... i thought my eyeball was on fire.. it was HORRRRRIBLE!!!! 8(

Anonymous said...

I loved your story about the girls - it is so true! When I was RSP in the singles ward everyone thought I was busy every weekend, so never invited me places...when in reality I sat home alone practically every Friday nite b/c I was too shy to actually invite someone to do something. HMMM...Have I learned my lesson?
Heather

brooklyn said...

love #2 -- so typical!

KG said...

I have this teenage daughter at my house who really needs some friends and is willing to do something if someone calls and invites her...but she will not extend an invitation to others (maybe because she doesn't feel "excepted" yet by her new group of friends)...so we had an FHE lesson on Friendship. The secret we learned is that: to HAVE a friend, you must BE a friend! It still hasn't changed my teenagers attitude, but your post has reminded me to remind her of the "secret to friendship"!:-)

Mer said...

You are a great example to those girls in your ward!! I just got called in YW and feeling like I just am not a good enough example for them.