Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Field Trip

Guess how many parent-chaperones went on the 1st-grade field trip....50! I was only in charge of 3 boys, Harrison and two of his classmates. A teacher behind me said, "Oh, you'll have fun with them" and I couldn't quite gauge her level of sincerity. But she was right, I did. On a side note, God bless all teachers for their patience.



We went to the Las Vegas Natural History Museum. Dinosaurs, desert critters, and sharks were the highlights of our tour. I'll be honest, it isn't the coolest natural history museum I've been to but it's what we have. I'd guess Vegas does what Vegas does best in some of our city's other offerings like the Atomic Testing Museum, The Mob Museum, and the Erotic Heritage Museum.

(However, the new Smith Center for the Performing Arts is a jewel in this city. I'm going there tonight for an early Mother's Day present--a date with Tyce to see the female a capella group Sweet Honey in the Rock.)

I hope that Tyce can really go--he has a wicked fever and is still asleep. He got a vaccine with the caveat that it could cause headache, swelling, nausea, fever, etc. but we didn't think it would actually happen, you know? He wants to try out for the dance team at school today but I think he can't if he's not in class. Of course he thinks he can so we will see. That's hip-hop and not ballroom, in case you were wondering.

I was almost late for the field trip because we had a very hard time getting Mary off to school. She was impossible to wake up. In fact I gave her some clothes to wear and she fell back to sleep trying to pull her pants on. She was running an hour late and then lost her binders looking for her PE clothes and her PE clothes looking for her binders. It was a frustrating morning. I was about to pull my hair out but she was as chipper as can be in the car! Good thing she can make me laugh though because the night before when I asked her when she was going to get around to cleaning her room she said, "Mom, I know you probably won't believe this but I promise . . . at the next cycle of the moon."

Oy.

All's well that ends well I suppose because she actually made it to school. And I was glad to spend time with my little guys on their field trip.



No comments: