Monday, May 14, 2012

The Book of Hosea

Have you ever prepared a lesson and developed a huge love for what you were teaching? That's how I felt last night as I read and studied the book of Hosea. I wonder if I'd ever read those chapters before last night.



If you have, you'll remember that Hosea was a contemporary of Isaiah, Micah, and Amos, and the years of his ministry (about 755 to 715 B.C. ) were difficult ones. I feel bad for Hosea because he taught at a rough time. Peace and prosperity ended, domestic uprisings increased, and foreign nations attacked. The kingdom of Israel formed alliances with pagan nations, which made it easier for her people to embrace their customs. Israel degenerated into idolatry, including its sexually immoral rituals.

Hosea used the metaphor of the marriage covenant to condemn Israel for her unfaithfulness and idol worship. But he also testified of God's love for his people and willingness to forgive and not "divorce" them if they would but return to him.

In my studying I found this from Henry B. Eyring:

“For more reasons than I can explain, during those days teaching Hosea, I felt something new, something more powerful. This was not a story about a business deal between partners, nor about business law. . . . 

"This was a love story. This was a story of a marriage covenant bound by love, by steadfast love. What I felt then, and it has increased over the years, was that the Lord, with whom I am blessed to have made covenants, loves me, and you, . . . with a steadfastness about which I continually marvel and which I want with all my heart to emulate."

Yes! My heart was full to bursting as I considered that.

I found a song, "Come Back to Me" based on the message of Hosea. I must have listened to that 20 times last night. I am so grateful to know that when I stray, the Lord wants nothing more than to receive me again into his arms. I just have to take the first steps. More than a judge, more than an enforcer, he is my Advocate with the Father and he LOVES me! He will never give up on me!

How grateful I am for that!

When it comes to my class, you know when people say that little children who don't look like they're listening can still absorb information? I am praying that's also the case with teenagers. If I was able to impart even a little of the lesson's message to just one person today I give the glory to God.
 

No comments: