Friday, August 3, 2007

A thought

You know what I like? Wheat germ. That's right. An excellent source of vitamin E and folic acid in every serving (so says the label). You can add it to stuff and not even know the difference. I've added it to my homemade breakfast bars, muffins, and even tuna salad.

I used to be in love with flax seed. Then someone knocked the wind out of my sails by saying I was supposed to use *ground* flax seed, not the whole seed like I had, and what was I supposed to use--a grinder? That's how the poor flax seed got demoted off the front top shelf and pushed back by the "hey, I didn't know I still had that!" section of the freezer (home of orphaned popsicles and 1/8 bags of frozen vegetables).

(Flax seed, you're in my freezer lonely and confused about my unexplained absence. Now you know the truth. I'm sorry.)

Here is a recipe for my very good breakfast bars. If you are the kind of person who craves specific directions, then be prepared to be frustrated by this one.

Breakfast bars

A bunch of marshmallows (I'm thinking 1/2 to 3/4 of a bag, depending on how many bars you want to make)
A small lump of margarine
Two big lumps of peanut butter
Some corn flakes, bran flakes, oats, WHEAT GERM! (and maybe flax seed)

Directions:

In a large pot, melt marshmallows and marg. over medium heat. Turn off heat and stir in peanut butter until melted. Stir in enough cereal flakes, oats and WHEAT GERM! to go with the amount of goo you made. Spread in a pan you like, maybe an 8x8. I usually make this the night before so it will "set" for breakfast (though right out of the pan is mighty tasty). Then cut into bars or squares.

See, it has peanut butter and WHEAT GERM! so it's okay to eat marshmallows for breakfast. (Right?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often find things in my freezer that I didn't know I had or pretend I didn't know I had. Then a long time later I wonder if its still okay to eat it? So my question is - How old is too old to eat things out of your freezer?

Heather

Rebecca and Co. said...

Hmmm . . . I think there are websites devoted to that very topic, though I've never visited one. I'd say, smell if it's freezer burned, and that is your test. No one likes to eat freezer burned stuff.