Saturday, August 11, 2007

5th grade graduation

It's really, really hard to believe that Tyce is done with elementary school. Friday was his promotion celebration. Some of my best memories of living here so far are volunteering in Tyce's 1st grade classroom with his awesome teacher, Mr. West. I blink my eyes a few times, and--poof!--I have a middle schooler. I think with all the drama surrounding our decision to adopt, then the waiting, then the physical and emotional demands that came with caring for the twins--well, this sentance is getting really long and I'm afraid I'll lose my point, so here it is--normal stuff (like changing grades) has gone by in super-speed mode. For the past 2 1/2 years I've been there for all of the school stuff but my attention has often been divided.

Take the graduation ceremony, for example: both boys were obsessed with the balloons that were attached to the tables and even convinced sympathetic bystanders to wrangle some loose for them. Harrison kept wanting to run onto the stage and the Cameron wanted to run outside onto the playground. I held Cameron during the slide show and swayed to the music with him, which made him shout, "Don't dance with me!" over and over till I stopped. Then I noticed Harrison, who had been with Tyce, made his way over to the computer from whence the slide show was coming--Powerpoint presentation--and nearly succeeded in pushing some keys. Through all of that I tried to give Tyce an encouraging smile, a thumbs-up to show that I was proud of him and glad to be here for his final hurrah to elementary school . . .

I did enjoy seeing (most of) the slide show and chatting with some of his friends. So if I had such a good time, where are the pictures, you ask, hmmmm? Well after taking my camera to the talent show (and not taking any pictures) I have misplaced said camera. Again. I can't blame it on any klepto parents at the park this time. Don't cluck your tongue at me--I know I'm not responsible enough to carry a camera and two 2-year-olds. I have grounded myself from taking the twins out in public ever again.

5 comments:

DANIEL and SOFIE said...

Your comments are so much fun to read Becky! I just love to see that I am not the only one that feels life is a bit crazy..most of the time. My 5th grader has his "surfin into 6th grade" this year as well in San Antonio. It was a bit teary to think that I also have a 6th grader...where has the time gone? What happened to good old Bradley and the Brahma days at big MAC? Another lifetime ago. I still remember the fun times we all had and considered you one of my best friends. It sounds like you have a great life. Awesome. -Sofie

Rebecca and Co. said...

I know what you mean, Sofie--I was looking at some old pictures last week and I felt that deep, intense love and appreciation for middle school and high school friends. I think one of the best years of my life EVER was 8th grade because of band and friends like you!

Darrell Crowther said...

Where is Tyce going to 6th grade? Did his first pick magnet school work out? (You can be vague, if you want to protect your online privacy!)

Also, how was your first day in your new ward? We missed you!!!!

Rebecca and Co. said...

Hi Angie! Tyce is going to Brown, unless Hyde Park calls.

Our first day was fine. The PV ward is tiny. We were 1 minute late and we still had about 10 benches to choose from. (!!!) Not a lot of people under 40. But it was good and I know I will grow to love it. I had a wave of nostalgia being back in the old building.

Mopsie said...

You WISH you could ground yourself from taking the boys out in public! What you could use is another pair of hands. Ever think of hiring a nanny or mother's helper or something?
Kudos to Tyce! I can't believe how the time has flown, either.
Find the camera yet?
You know we love you!