Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Die is Cast



You know how you kinda hope your kids like what you like, and maybe even want to do what you did when you were younger? Well get this. Tyce wants to play the French horn! You might remember reading that Tyce wanted to play the trumpet in band, and he did--until yesterday. The band director asked what kids were good singers and suggested they consider the French horn. I don't know if flattery motivated Tyce, or he just thought, "You know, I could be really good at this," or some other reason that made him want to switch. I was really surprised and pleased . . . But wait, there's more. He asked me to give him private lessons. I know, I almost fell off my chair too. This is the kid who can't take one word of correction or advice regarding his piano practice from me, and yet he wants me to teach him the mysterious ways of the brass beast.

I feel such a bond with him over this. Is that weird? I wish I were back in 6th grade and full of excitement about learning something new. We've been talking shop, and even caught him singing Mozart's horn concerto No. 4 after dinner!!! He is just so *alive* and positive. I have to admit I haven't seen him like this for a long time, and his enthusiasm is absolutely contagious.

3 comments:

Darrell Crowther said...

The french horn is my absolute favorite instrument to listen to. Darrell says it's really hard to play?

brooklyn said...

that's awesome to hear! my brother dane is irritated that i convinced him to play the saxaphone (it was the mid 80's and sax was cool!) and he wishes so much he played the french horn. dumb 80's brooke!

good luch tyce! (and rebecca teaching him!)

Mopsie said...

You know we're thrilled! We love the sound of the French horn. Good luck with lessons. Since motivation is 90% (or some such high number) of success, all should be fabu! Tyce, you rock!