Monday, August 27, 2007

The first day of school!

Oh blessed day, you've finally arrived and given me the tiniest sliver of hope and sanity.

But seriously folks, another day of summer and some of us might not have survived.

You should've seen how adorable and excited my big kids were to get back to school. (And I'd show you, IF I had a camera.) Mare had a new brown and blue shirt and brown capris and her hair braided really well, and Tyce looked sharp in his red polo shirt and navy pants. They got themselved packed up and couldn't wait to start the school day.

We had to do some revamping of morning schedules and chores now that Tyce and Mary Rachel start and end school at different times (two different schools, you know). Here's how the morning went:

5:55 a.m. Tyce gets up, showers, etc. (*He* set his alarm for that early!)
6:15 a.m. Grown ups get up, dressed, etc.
7:00 a.m. Wake up Mary Rachel, step over Harrison who is sleeping in the hall.
7:15 a.m. Twins wake up, demand a snack. Preferably something in a shiny wrapper.
7:30 a.m. Breakfast (muffins, eggs, and canteloupe), family scripture study/family prayer. There were no spills today!
7:40 a.m. Bryce takes Tyce to middle school.
7:45 a.m. Harrass Mary to do her morning chore of clearing the table.
8:00 a.m. Harrass Mary to finish making her bed.
8:10 a.m. Harrass Mary to stop bothering the twins.
8:20 a.m. Harrass Mary to finish making her bed AND clear the table.
8:30 a.m. Mary changes out of her brand new shoes because they feel "funny".
8:35 a.m. Dress twins for the day.
8:50 a.m. Clenching my teeth to keep from losing it, take Mary to elementary school.

The morning seems way too long.

I dropped the boys off at the Shapiros' house so I could attend the results meeting across town re: Cameron's and Harrison's developmental evaluations last month. Cameron *did* qualify for services (meaning preschool at the elementary--early childhood). His eligibity was based on his behavior and his fine motor delays. Of the two boys, I felt Cam did a much better job of "performing" so I was surprised to find out that Harrison did not qualify. I think two things kept Harrison from being eligible: he's dark and brooding and not constantly pouncing like Tigger on caffeine, and he can draw a circle.

I either want them both to go to school, or both stay home. I was told there's a possibility Harrison could go to early childhood as a sibling, but I'm not sure about that. The principal wouldn't talk to me when I called. I guess I shouldn't be too offended being that is was the first day of school and all.

After picking the boys up from the Shapiros, we ate lunch at home and went down for nap time. (Slept easily.) I read a book for a few minutes, tidied the bedroom, and 55 minutes later had to wake the kids from their naps to get Tyce from school by 2:11 p.m. (Woke grumpily.)

We picked up Tyce at the curb and I pumped him for details about his day. Guess what--he LOVED it. Here's what he said at Family Home Evening:

Me: What was the best part of the day?

Tyce: Having Bligh in three of my classes, my teachers, my locker.

Me: What was the worst part of the day?

Tyce: Locking my locker combination in my locker. (!)

Me: What was the scariest part of the day?

Tyce: Meeting my teachers.

Me: What was the most surprising part of the day?

Tyce: That all of my teacher are really cool.



He was chock-full of stories and observations and it sounds like he's really happy (so far). :)

About 45 minutes after returning home, I had to go get Mary Rachel from elementary. I left the twins in Tyce's care, and as I was leaving I heard, "Mom, Cameron took off his diaper and pooped in the backyard!" (What is up with that?) Anyway, I arrived at the school and chatted with some friends while waiting for the 3:21 bell. Finally my 2nd grade cutie came bounding over to me and reported that she had a wonderful day, loved her teacher (a man!) and even ate lunch with Sara, though they are in different classes this year.

Did you keep track of that schedule? School at 8 a.m., 9 a.m., then pick up at 2:11 p.m. and 3:21 p.m. Don't worry, I do understand the virtues of carpools and school busses. I just wanted to do it all myself today. And probably for several days hereafter. Yes, I'm a bit of a control freak. I like to be right there whenever I can.

Now I'm exhausted and thinking, "Boy, we get to do this all over again tomorrow!" Ahhhh . . . All in all, life is good.

3 comments:

brooklyn said...

wow. it all sounds so fun! first day of school is the best! so glad that tyce and mary are loving it so far.

Vigoren Family said...

Um, I think I'll savor my last year with Isaac at home! Sheesh, That's some serious moving around.

Mopsie said...

You're in for another year of very little down time for MOM. But, I'm so happy that the first day went so well for T and M. It makes it all worth while!
Your description of Cameron as "Tigger on caffeine" was priceless! (Too bad it's true.) By the time they're grown, you're going to have earned a whole galaxy of gold stars, Super Mom!