Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Just Thinking

Bryce and the older kids are in Utah (Tyce for YASE, Mare for cousin time). Last night both twins slept in the king-sized bed with me. We have a ginormous house and yet we feel most comfortable sharing the same 43 sq. ft (well, two of us do).

Today after diving class I'm taking Cameron and Harrison to Chuck E. Cheese, where a kid can be a kid and a mom can read a book (maybe). Wish me luck.

Last night a high school friend on Facebook posted an obituary of one of our former science teachers, Mrs. Sloan-Nelson. We had her for anatomy and physiology but she also taught Bio II AP and other higher level classes. Her course was hard and I still remember my report grades for each 6-week period: A, B, C, A, B, C. But I'll tell you something--I learned more from her than from most classes where I earned straight As. No college class I took was any harder than that high school anatomy and physiology.

She was a tough teacher and I'm sure all of us muttered at times, "She's so mean. It's not fair," but I know we all respected her. She was certainly intelligent but she also possessed that rare passion for making her students want to work to learn for themselves, and we did. What a gift it is to the world to have someone use their considerable talents for teaching--truly lighting that fire in others--instead of to make money or just satisfy personal whims. I am grateful to her for what she gave me--not perfect grades on a report card but a working body of knowledge that I still draw from today. The older I get the more I realize the sacrifices people made for me--for ME!--to help me along my way throughout life. I think I'm still figuring that out and what a humbling journey of discovery that is. 


No comments: