Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The House is Quiet

Another post? Why yes, indeed. The kids are all off doing things (twins--swimming with neighbors; Tyce--managing the girls' volleyball team; Mary--playing Wii Party). It's mostly quiet and mostly clean and I am mostly able to think.

I have anxiety about school starting. As hectic and kid-centric the summer can be, I'd take that over the pressures and issues that come from school. When they are here, I manage the kids directly (and they are generally wonderful--ever-present but very good). When they are at school I manage them remotely, and things don't go as well. My kids need more supervision than most but they believe they need it the least. There have been incidents over the years; I have PTSD every time the phone rings during the school year, no lie. Man, just thinking about seeing "Clark County Schools" on my caller ID makes my stomach drop.

(One time CCSD called me on my cell phone and I nearly had a panic attack. Turned out it was a recorded message about immunizations--dang, I almost threw the phone across the room.)

Have you ever heard of anyone not being able to get up in the mornings? Is this a real problem, or just a choice? The thought of waking Mary up in the mornings for middle school is about as unpleasant as the thought of swimming with sharks. I'll get my head bitten off either way, but at least the sharks wouldn't yell. Getting Mary out of bed is definitely the task I think I will dread the most.

I think the twins will be okay. Fingers crossed.

This week we are doing our end-of-summer list of doctor's appointments, hair salon (for Mary) and lots of swimming. Tyce and the Young Men are going to Brian Head for a leadership retreat tomorrow, but I think it's going to be the nicest "camping trip" they've ever had. Sounds like they're staying in a mansion! I'm sure Bryce is glad he's going along.

End of summer, beginning of school....maybe it's the transitions that get to me. (But on the upside, this will be my first year, EVER, of having all 4 kids in school all day long. I hope that's a good thing.)


2 comments:

Brad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Silver Strands said...

Oh yes Rebecca! It's a very good thing ... you'll be able to store up all kinds of energy while everyone's at school. For me, having everyone gone that first year was weird the first couple of days, then glorious the rest of the year.

This summer really did go by fast, though, didn't it? I can't believe we've only got a couple of days left. Enjoy!


PS - that deleted comment was me ... I didn't realized I was signed in as Brad and I actually thought about leaving it up, but that would be way too creepy ... hehehe