Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Babble Babble Like a Brook

Thank goodness for laptops...otherwise I couldn't blog in my bed.

This week I've gone to a seminary inservice training and gotten some really good information and ideas. I am excited to really get started on the right foot this year. I'm mostly excited to be in control and in charge, instead of having to ask the students what was going on (since I started teaching last year at the end of February). One thing I've been hearing a lot is that when we expect a lot from our students, they rise up and deliver. Go Youth!



On the way home I listened to the radio. The DJs (Mark and Mercedes) were talking about songs/artists that were romantic mood killers. Some of their picks included Alvin and the Chipmunks, Justin Bieber, and songs special between you and an ex-love. That reminded me of why I hate Bryce putting his iPod on shuffle . . . one minute we're swaying to Air Supply and the next we're broadsided by the Mood Killer. You just never know what's coming up next. I have actually swatted the iPod out of the player when these came on:

1) Anything by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir--for example, a patriotic rendition of this:
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord:
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword:
His truth is marching on.

2) A dramatic reading of journals from the Mormon Pioneers--especially ones like this:

December 3, 1845. My baby is dead. We buried him in the snow. I want to die.


3) Sports clips--remember this one?:

Here it is. One play for it all. . . . Snap to John. John backpedals. . . . He’s moving to his left. . . . All kinds of time. Now the heat comes. . . . John Beck is on the run. He throws behind him, and it is—caught for the touchdown! Caught for the touchdown! Caught for the touchdown! . . . Harline by himself in the end zone! The Cougars win it on the final play of the game!

However, Bryce would emphatically disagree. Nothing could be better than reliving that winning play for a true Cougars fan. Ah, I sense this has all been a "thanks for sharing" moment for you, am I right?




I made a very good salad on Monday night. It was made possible by my newest kitchen toy, the salad spinner.
Green and read leaf lettuces, tomatoes, carrot coins, grilled chicken, and bacon. Ranch dressing for those who wanted it but it was super delish just plain. As Cam would say, "superb". We also had tiny champagne grapes and French bread. I want to make that again to eat the rainbow.

Mary, Bella, and Sara are taking a diving class. They are so awesome. I would never dive head-first off of  a high dive unless significantly threatened or bribed. Sometimes when the girls are in class the twins and I swim on the other side until they're done--in the deep end. My babies can swim! In the 13 ft. pool! A whole new world has opened up to them now that they can truly survive and enjoy deep water.

Heritage Park. That's a big indoor pool.

Sometimes it's still fun to hang out in the shallow pool.

And they can do everything at the Black Mountain pool, including going down the water slide!

But eating candy from the snack shack is a pretty big thrill too.

Drying out in the sun, eating a Popsicle and playing Catan on my phone: Mary's idea of a perfect day.

Tyce and his friend Dalton--they've known each other since 1st grade.

Harrison's first time having gone down the water slide--he loved it!

Cameron finally went down for the first time a couple of weeks later. I was so proud of him! I was so inspired by his courage that I went down for the first time, too! I don't know what I was scared of....probably waiting in line. But it was super fun.

Backstroke Cameron.


All four kids...it's almost like I lined them up.

Our little mermaid.

Harrison hitching a ride.

We saw the final Harry Potter movie yesterday--except that Mary wouldn't go. She said she didn't want to see it, although I changed my original plan from "The Smurfs" when I thought she was coming. I have read all of the HP books, of course, but it has been a long time. And I have never seen a HP movie, though I knew what the main characters looked like. Boy, I should have done a movie marathon or re-read the series because there were several times I felt lost. Cameron has mastered the art of whispering--finally!--but still talks a ton during a film. One time he said, "There's a force field around the castle? To protect it from the bad guys? Are you wondering how I knew that, you might think I've seen this movie before?"



It was a good movie and Tyce and the twins loved it. 

We've had tons of friends over and I should take pictures to prove they were here. We're lucky to have such good, nice, and fun kids next door and down the street. Shout out to the neighbors!

Now I'm off to take the dog for a walk, feed the kids, and then do the opposite: walk the kids and feed the dog. Haha.
.

2 comments:

Bryce said...

This may be my all-time-favorite post now. Why? Because you can recite, apparently from memory, the entire play-by-play by Greg Wrubell of BYU's last second winning play against Utah in 2006. Arguably the greatest BYU football play ever. I probably have the Best-Wife-EVER...

Rebecca and Co. said...

Ah ha...yes. Yes you do. :)