Monday, August 22, 2011

Good Things!

I have had some really great experiences lately. One was at the Seminary symposium, where I attended a class on effective teaching; the teacher really opened my eyes to the importance and awesomeness of "why" questions. He had us read a scripture block and then write down a "why" question. It was much harder than it sounds. Then we got with a partner and shared our questions.

For example, our block of scriptures was Moses 1:6-11 in the Pearl of Great Price. My question was taken from verse 11, "What can I do to see God with my spiritual eyes?" Which, by the way, is not a why question but an application question. See, I told you it was harder than it sounds. My partner asked, "If God had a work for Moses (v. 6), does he also have a work for me? What is it?" Ah, much better question because it led to a really awesome discussion.

The teacher asked if any of us wanted to share what their partner had said--I thought that was a cool way to get participation, since people can be hesitant to share their own ideas but have no problem sharing someone else's.

I felt the Spirit many times throughout that class and I felt my heart and mind expanding to become a better teacher. I'm excited to use my new knowledge in the classroom.

Another great experience has been the Preach My Gospel discussion we've had the past two Sundays in our home. There's an established group for the 16-19-year-old kids but Tyce really wanted to have a group for the 14- and 15-year-old youth--he invited a bunch of kids to our house last week after stake choir practice. We had a wonderful discussion and then practiced role-playing. When it was Lynsie's turn to teach a missionary discussion, she began with a prayer; as she prayed my heart began to burn. The Spirit was so strong! She was able to speak with power and conviction, and my whole group was uplifted. I learned more that day from a 15-year-old girl than I did from anyone else.

Last night we had 15 young people over. What an awesome thing it is to have teenagers yearn for gospel discussion and fellowship.

The last thing I want to talk about is our anniversary--we celebrated 16 years yesterday! I love Bryce so much and I'm grateful for him. He gave me the best gift by cleaning our whole bedroom and the whole bathroom--I truly can't think of anything I would have wanted more. What, you thought I was going to say diamonds? Uh, no. And he knows I would have beheaded him if he had done that. He is a smart fellow (and has become smarter every year he's been married to me. Har har). At Preach My Gospel he gave me some gorgeous roses, to the ooohs and aaaahs of the young people. Special occasion flowers--that's good. And a sweet man to give them to me? That's better. Everybody loves love, don't they!? It was a great celebration weekend.

My heart is so full with good things.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.