Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Pensive and Personal

You know how I mentioned that Family Home Evening on Monday really touched me. In fact, it touched me so much that I began to wonder what *I* could sacrifice, what I undoubtedly SHOULD sacrifice because I am so richly blessed. I have steady income, a giant house, an awesomely organized pantry, a best friend for a husband, and kids who look like models for The Children's Place. My life isn't perfect, but what I'm saying is that the Lord has blessed me with so much.

Because I have been given much, I too must give.

Ever since we got the twins in 2005, people have asked me if we're done adding to our family. I have always said something like, "Yes, defintely," because, hello, I had always felt like my life was completely out of control after doubling the kid-count over here. But part of me was open to the possibility, maybe, down the road if I got hit over the head by lightning, that we might adopt another child.

Hmmmm.

I prayed the other night, I can't remember what for, but I felt something unusual . . . but familiar. "Not the lightning bolt, please not the lightning bolt," I said, in the part of my brain that was cowering in the corner. The warm feeling filled my heart and I really wanted to make it go away. I wanted to sing, "I can't hear you!" but I did.

Because I have been given much, I too must give.

I know that feeling.

Hesitantly, I called Bryce today and asked him if he felt our family was complete. You know, just the kind of casual conversation that follows, "What are you eating for lunch today, Do you know exactly what time Tyce's band concert is," and the like. Of course we've discussed this before and the answer has always been a big fat yes. This time he said, "Yes, but . . ." and named all the ways we've been blessed. Wouldn't it be a shame to keep it all to ourselves?

Hmmmm.

And today is our family anniversary. The day that toddler Tyce came to live with us at 17 months of age. The day we became parents. The day that changed our family forever, for the better.

We're in the thinking stages. Just thinking. Pondering. Staying open to possibilities. Warming up the idea.

We'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Tracey said...

You and Bryce are wonderful parents. You have a beautiful family. It seems like the older kids get, you kind of start thinking, okay I think I can do this again.
I told Joe and his parents the other day, if I would have known how hard this puppy was going to be, I think I would have made a deal with both Joe and Skylar (they both want another baby)and told them, okay if we don't get a puppy. I will have another baby. To late now!!!!

brooklyn said...

wow, this could be big! please keep us posted.