Monday, June 4, 2007

This past weekend

I had an awesome Saturday with my dad. I was so glad he was able to fly out to come to our cousin Una's funeral in North Las Vegas. Una and my dad's mom were neice and aunt, but only 5 years apart in age. They were more like sisters or best friends. My dad knew Una quite well. I only got to know Una since I moved to the Las Vegas area a few years ago, but boy, what an awesome lady she was! Blind in her later years, widowed twice, childless--but not alone. She tirelessly served others, and in turn was served by many. She died at age 97.

A close friend and Bishopric member put it like this in the program:

Perie Una Noble, a lady of true pioneer spirit. Compassionate to those in need. Quiet about her extensive service. Vocal in defending gospel truths and her faith. Patriotic to her country. Committed to missionary work, temple work, and genealogy. Quick to laugh at a good joke or tell a good story. Religious in her care of her body and spirit. Adventurous, well-read and wise . . . She was simple, but don't confuse that with easy. No compromise on principle. Her life is her memorial and we must be her legacy. To a handmaid of the Lord.

The chapel was packed to celebrate the remarkable and valiant life of this wonderful person.

***
My dad was (and is still) the first and only person to have spent the night in the new house. That's quite a penthouse suite we provided for his visit, wouldn't you say?

I think the kids sufficiently showed off for Grandpa without being too obnoxious. The little boys sang songs like, "Happy Birthday to You" and "The Wheels on the Bus" for him. Cameron had a hard time saying "grand-PA" instead of "grand-MA". In fact, he must have channeled Bryce's mom, "Grandma Judy," because Cameron kept asking us, "Is that Grandma Cutie?" I hope someday someone calls *me* Grandma Cutie!

Thanks for coming out, Dad! It was great to get to see you! Tyce and Mary really enjoyed all the attention you paid them.

We're still on target to move on June 9th. I think the painting might be the only thing that gets done before the move but we will deal.

Oh, I bought Harrison and Cameron their very own "Hoo Hoos" today at the store. They were 88 cents and the boys are feeling like hot stuff.

Okay, I'm off the pack some more. If you find my camera, let me know.

I hope this picture from last month will tide you over until I can post new pictures. Cameron and Harrison are digging for buried treasure. (Betsy, this is for you).

.

(Also, to enter the naughty file: Harrison shook out the entire cinnamon bottle onto the couch and family room tile this morning. At lunch he dumped a tortilla chip bag onto the floor. Earlier in the month he'd emptied the baby powder onto my bed, dresser, and carpet. Oh, he also shook a full jar of grape jelly onto the kitchen floor. I think he's trying to tell me something. If it's not "Look at me!" then I don't know what it is. Second choice is that it's a cry for help for me to provide more art supplies.)

3 comments:

Dad77345 said...

Happiness is being grandpa (or in Cameron's case... grandma). An added bonus was having a palace to stay in (even if I only used one of the bedrooms and bathrooms). A person could get lost in that house... it's HUGE!

Whirlwind last-minute trip, but well worth it to pay final respects to Una- a truly remarkable woman.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Rebecca!

It was sad/happy seeing you at church on Sunday, since it was your last week. Noone made a big deal, but I was making a big deal about it in my own head. I am so happy for you and the beautiful life that you have.

Keep up the blog! I check in every day, and I love it!!!

Angie
(by the way, I would sign in with my google account, but I keep forgetting it.)

Rebecca and Co. said...

Angie, you are in luck. We'll be going to the Newport ward as long as Bryce is still in the Bishopric (at least a few more weeks). Can you believe he's been the 1st counselor for nearly 4 years!!?? Pretty soon the whole Bishopric will change, I guess.

But for now we'll still be around!!