Wednesday, June 20, 2007

How I Earned $40

Bryce and I traded places today. He: At home with the kids. Me: At the federal courthouse by 7:30 a.m.

You may call me Potential Juror #137. (PJ for short.)

It is a local high-profile case that will last at least 10 business days. So you can imagine that I was not keen to be chosen, due to the length of required service. However, I wasn't even given the opportunity to use my awesome excuses (child care issues, dh in the building), and I was a little miffed. I mean, I at least wanted a turn at the mike to politely wriggle out of service, get out the door and onto some free time (possible activities: temple session, hair salon, shopping. Preferrably all three). But only 34 people were chosen to be interrogated. As it turned out, I just sat and watched and listened to the other PJs answering questions. For. A. Very. Long. Time.

The good thing was having a lunch break with Betsy and Judge Dawson (not the judge on the case) while the rest of the common folk scavenged for lunch at various local restaurants. I just buzzed myself through the security doors of the judge's chambers with Bryce's ID. (Is it wrong to admit that I liked barging in like I knew what I was doing?) I had a very enjoyable chat with Bryce's co-workers over Quizno's subs and Doritos. Betsy (my cousin-in-law!) is such a cool person. Did you know this was the first time we'd met?
.
The reject jurors were dismissed around 3:00 p.m. Seriously, I started to fall asleep during the pre-emptory challenge section. Not even my book (read surreptiously, of course) could keep me from nodding off. Luckily it was just the eyes closed, slight head-bobbing sort of snooze and not the snorting, falling-into-your-neighbor's-lap kind. I don't think the grizzly, tattooed gentlemen next to me would've appreciated that.

Though I wasn't chosen this time, I still say hooray for the wheels of justice.

5 comments:

Vigoren Family said...

Man, a mom's day out for $40? Not bad! I hope Betsy is planning on running in the family reunion 5K! It's great to be so connected to family in so many different ways! It seems you all had a joyous Father's Day. Your kids are definitely a hoot to read about. You have your hands full!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I'm so narcissistic. I love to see my name in print :)
Rebecca - it was fun to meet you. You are terrific! And, I do have to say that it is probably a good thing you weren't chosen for jury duty -- the other jurors would have been miffed at your special lunch breaks every day while they were forced to skittle off to the cafeteria!

Kellie - No 5K this year, as I'll be flying back to LV on Friday night. I will be there for he Friday festivities though. Looking forward to catching up!

brooklyn said...

fun day rebecca--(in the sort of fun that breaking from routine and from house and kids is)! it could have been worse. for example, i got a letter for dave in the mail from the courts and i thought,"oh, he's got jury duty, bummer!" then i opened it and it was a ticket for not wearing his seat belt. worse bummer.

betsy--i SO wish i could be there and catch up with you! so glad i have both sides of the family to fill me in.

Rebecca and Co. said...

Guess what . . . I got a check in the mail for $66 instead of $40, due to payment for mileage. Woo hoo!

Rebecca and Co. said...

Oh, and I'm glad I can bring the cousins together!