Monday, July 14, 2014

Job Interview

Guess what, peeps. I had a job interview last week.

Before I went in.

I just want something part-time and when I saw that there was an opening at the Clinique counter at Macy's I jumped on it.

And then I got some serious cold feet. Retail? Sales? Oh boy.

But I went through with the interview process since I knew it would be good experience regardless. And it was. I had an initial interview with a sales manager, then a second interview with the cosmetics manager. The cosmetics manager said, "Diana was right that I would love you because I totally do. I'm surprised someone else hasn't snatched you up already."

Hello!

It is the weirdest thing to interview, isn't it? You have to talk yourself up, toot your own horn, come across as extremely valuable. And then they ask you questions that slam you right back down and make you feel like an idiot. There's no way to be ready for every question, you know? I actually studied before I went in--How do you handle stress? When have you worked in a team to achieve a goal?--so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

I even went to the Clinique counter a day before my interview to talk to one of the ladies, ask some questions about makeup for dark skin (for Mary). Just getting a feel for how she handled me as a customer and what I might do similarly or different.

Anyway, now I have the phone interview with the Talent Plus people, kind of a personality profiling. If I get past that, then I have another interview and then find out the verdict.

It would be exciting to get the job. Clinique does extensive training and treats their consultants well. Macy's, I'm not so sure about. But I would get to wear that iconic lab coat--hey, I'm never going to med school so this is the only way I'll get to wear one. Let's be honest, that would be cool.

I'll keep you posted.



No comments: