Thursday, February 20, 2014

Stake Conference and My Run-In With the Cops

This past weekend was stake conference and Tyce was asked to put together a special musical number. He asked some of his friends to sing a beautiful medley of As Sisters in Zion / We'll Bring the World His Truth. They sang on Saturday night and they did such a great job. Seriously talented kids.

After the conference teenagers piled in to my minivan so I could take them to Sonic. It was dark and I didn't even see who was in my car. But when I was at a red light I looked back and there were more kids than seatbelts; two boys were on the floor. How did that happen? I was two intersections away from our destination when I noticed a cop behind me. My heart started to race as I thought, great, I don't even know where my insurance card is so please don't stop me. BUT. As soon as the light turned green--I saw that dreaded red and blue flashing in my rear-view mirror. Holy crap.

The kids hissed, "Get down!" But I said, "No need, he already saw you. That's why he's pulling us over." That didn't stop Tyce from covering his friend Josh with a blazer. Nothing says, "Hello Officer, nothing to hide here" like a jacket-covered human.

I rolled down my window. The kids froze.

"Do you happen to know why I pulled you over?" he asked, not unkindly.

I shrugged my shoulders. "Ummmm . . . . no?" I lied.

"Your tail light," he said, gesturing to the back. "It's out. Did you know that?"

"Oh! My tail light! Yes, I knew that. I was about to get it fixed. Oh my word, yes, it happened at the car wash, can you believe it? They broke my light and I need to fix it. Yes, I really do. I will do it right now," I gushed, unable to stop talking.

"Yeah, I'm just telling you so that you don't get a ticket. Have a nice night."

And then I rolled up the window and pulled away.

The kids collectively exhaled. "I've never been pulled over before! Oh my gosh, I was so scared!" I kind of rolled my eyes. Hello, they were basically the reason I was pulled over in the first place. Well, I thought they were. Turns out my busted light saved the day. Because as you know, the last thing I need is a ticket for endangering the lives of foolish floor-sitting minors.

After the Sunday session a group of kids came over to eat and play games. Nothwishstanding my stress of the night before, they are wonderful teenagers, and a delight to be around.

Starting with Chris V. (with iPad, taking a picture of me taking a picture of them) and going clockwise: Autumn D., Brady D., Joaquin P., Kyle M., Kayley M., Lizzo D., Tyce, Josh B., Keara H., Emily D. 



1 comment:

SweetmamaK said...

I love that- Quentin always manages to invite more people than I can safely drive, yet we make it and I pray that I am forgiven. The good news, the teens love you and want to be in your van. With or without Sonic.