Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Girls Camp Redux--The Hike

We got to camp and took forever to set up. Probably because I was tired from hardly sleeping the night before. I gathered everything I needed to pack and yet . . . I brought no brush or hair dryer, no pillows to sleep on. I did bring 2 towels though, one of which I rolled under my head and the other I gave to Mary because she dropped hers in the dirt.

The leaders' tent within a tent. 
The next day we set out on our hike to Emerald Pools. However, we ended up on the wrong trail and went halfway to Angel's Landing (a very treacherous hike) before turning around. It was really hot and so I don't think many people minded when we turned back and headed for the river.

The entrance.

The shuttle.

Bridge over shallow, rocky water.

Our 29 girls and fearless leaders crossing the bridge.

Up the trail.

Resting for a moment on the way back down. These girls were the leaders of the pack. Savannah, Sara, Mary, Makayla, Courtney, Maddie, and Emily.

A highlight for the girls was playing in the cold, cold river. They had a blast.

Isn't that lovely?

Girls and more girls.

Half of the group posing on the bridge.

Mary and her sweet, quiet friend Taya.
After hiking we couldn't wait to jump in the pool at camp. This was a first for me to see at girls camp...BOYS! There were Scout troops, school groups, and youth conferences at our facility and as you can imagine, our young women were delighted. Mary had a conversation with a cute boy that went like this:

Cute Boy: Hi, What's your name?

Mare: Mary.

Cute Boy: Oh, that's a pretty name. I'm Max. How old are you?

Mare: I'm 12.

Cute Boy: I'm 16. Will you be swimming here again?

Mare: I'm not sure, but I might.

Cute Boy: Then maybe I'll see you around. Bye.

****

Giddy laughter all night long followed that exchange! She never saw him again but she sure talked about him a lot. Maaaaxxxxx!





No comments: