Friday, September 2, 2011

So Far, So Good

The first week of school was pretty good for the kids. And since everyone's gone all day, pretty good for me. Wocka wocka.

Tyce has a heavy course load this year with geometry, chemistry, English, world history, ROTC, and choir.  Seminary starts next week. He is one of the managers for the freshman girls' volleyball team, which means he goes to practices and games and keeps statistics. I think he helps with set-up and take-down also. He ordered a hat before school started and it still hasn't come. Everyday he runs to the mailbox, poor guy. Bryce let him pull the minivan into the garage last night--can you imagine that in a year he'll be able to drive for real?

Mary seems to be doing fine in junior high. She's in all honors classes (called accelerated) and  her elective is Art. She takes school seriously and does "homework" even when she doesn't have any. One afternoon Sara came over and Mary was drilling her on math facts, and states and capitals. I asked how Sara liked that activity and she said, "She wasn't into it at first but when she found out she'd made an 80% she was happy." Probably happy to be done!

You will be happy to know that she's gotten up every single day without a problem. Believe me, I'm as shocked as you are. I think some of it is excitement, and some of it is fear. She has the notion that if she's tardy they will publicly humiliate her over the announcements. I hope she never figures out that's not the case. As far as absences . . .  either we or the school have sufficiently scared her into regular attendance. It's only been one week though so we will see.

Cameron is such an easy-going fellow. I showed him where to line up that first day and he's gone happily by himself each day after. He knows a lot of kids from last year, many of whom were in Harrison's class. His first day he told me how much he enjoyed "P.T." I asked what that was--he told me about the running after beanbags game. It was then that I realized he meant P.E. and not P.T.--Physical Training--which is what Tyce has in ROTC! I am really happy that he is loving the 1st grade.

Harrison is our sensitive kid. Change is hard for him. He's gone to school just fine but really wants me there, standing by him, until the last possible second. He death-grips my hand until his teacher gives the signal to march into the building; then he lets go and soldiers on. He is the personification of my own generalized anxiety. My heart goes out to him because I know how he feels. He dislikes the parts of school that most kids like best--lunch and recess--because there are too many variables, too many "what-ifs". The last thing he wants is to be confused or embarrassed. Cameron wanted school lunch today because it's pizza day--and although Harrison initially wanted it too he couldn't bring himself to go through with it. The line, where to go, how to pay...it's too scary for now. So I packed a sandwich and an orange in his lunchbox. I know he'll feel comfortable soon because he has really great kids in his class, and a super awesome teacher. But for now it's so poignant to see him deal with and work through his issues; I am proud of how well he's doing.

I am eating lunch with the boys at school today because TOMORROW IS THEIR BIRTHDAY!  They will be 7 and they are sooooo excited about that. Don't tell anyone but they are getting new bikes for their big day. Next week (or the week after that) we'll have a friends party at the park. As an added bonus their special day is over a 3-day weekend (Labor Day) which means that Grandpa Al is coming to visit! I'm sure it's just to see the boys and has nothing to do with the the first BYU game of the season! (Go Cougars!)

(And then Tuesday is my first day of Seminary. I am alternately pumped up and terrified to teach those kids.)

2 comments:

Jenn said...

This is Aunt Lynn. Both Chris and Jenny were in ROTC and they LOVED it and learned a lot from it so I hope Tyce does too. I can see Mary becoming an artist someday if her interest in art continues and Harrison reminds me of Brandon, kind of timid, Cameron is more like Jessie. What a great group of kids we have huh. Anyway just wanted to add my 2 cents worth.

Rebecca and Co. said...

Aw, thanks, Aunt Lynn! Always nice to hear from you. Oh, and the boys got their cards and they were very excited. :)