Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Very Cold Spring Break in Utah, Easter at Home

Indeed it was. Cold, and rainy some days, it reminded me of a nice bleak winter day--not the week before a very late Easter! It was just like my first year in Provo, where it stayed cold until June. Bryce and the big kids decided to make the most of the still-falling snow and go up to Brighton (skiing for Bryce, snowboarding for the kids).

1. Mary's First Time Snowboarding, Tyce's Second, and Bryce's First Time Skiing Since We've Been Married

Grandpa Al stayed cozy doing his crossword puzzles in the lodge. But he did enjoy watching the kids for a little while. Mary had snowboarding lessons and a teacher practically to herself.

Even though she did well in her lessons, she spent a lot of time like this. Snowboarding is a lot harder than skiing.

Just don't compare yourself to Tyce. He thought it would take Mary 5 minutes to get down the hill but it took her an hour!

But look--there she goes!

She loved the ski lift most of all.

Back at the lodge, Grandpa Al and Tyce found something very funny.

Poor girl was exhausted after a long day!
Bryce had a really fun time skiing--even Al said he'd like to take it up again.

2. Cameron  Lost His Top Teeth

On the same day! Look at these cute boys with all their missing teeth. I love when kids lose their top teeth! The boys have about the same dental landscape as their baby cousin Natasha.

3.Museum of Church History and Art

One of the highlights of our spring break was visiting Temple Square. The children's exhibits were particularly engaging and we spent a couple of hours there.


Tyce and Kira Price (age 4) outside the museum.

Cameron, Kess (age 8), Kira, and Mary really enjoyed dressing up and dancing to the life-sized video instruction.

Harrison, always independent, found his own entertainment. This exhibit featured the sounds of different instruments.

The kids spent at least an hour "feeding the missionaries."

They sure loved playing with that food-food.


Bryce and Kira waited together while some kids finished up.

Tyce explored the rest of the museum on his own. He came back and showed Grandma Judy the pictures he'd taken of his favorite things.

In another part of the museum there was a podium used in the Tabernacle.

I gave my first and only talk in General Conference, to an invisible but appreciative crowd.


These quilts captivated me. This one was made by a lady while her husband went through a serious illness. Its pattern was inspired by the scripture in Luke 12:27 and aptly titled "Consider the Lilies."

This one depicted the 13 Articles of Faith. It was so beautiful it blew me away.

Made by a mother whose child was hospitalized for long-term care. It is made entirely of clothing labels.

Talk about one that choked me up: this one represents the revelation in 1978 that all worthy males were eligible to receive the priesthood.

A worldwide sisterhood.

I loved this one because it was made of paper and modge-podged onto wood. That's the kind of quilt I think I could manage making.

All done, and outside the museum again. The cousins: Mary Rachel, Kess, Kira, Cameron, Tyce, and Harrison.

Kess and Mary are so pretty.

Judy took us to her office in the Family History center. We were a bit noisier than anyone bargained for.

4. Easter Festivities

Getting ready to hunt for eggs--and Bryce is poised to leap into action.

They got lots of good candy and even some special surprises--Harrison found Dora the Explorer socks intended for Kira but she would have nothing to do with them. He was happy to keep the flower-dotted socks for himself!

Grandma Judy let the kids decorate Easter cookies. While two kids decorated, the others watched a movie.

They enjoyed being creative.

Because creativity is delicious.




5. Easter Day

We left on Saturday so that we could be home for Easter. (One year we traveled on Easter and hated it--it was a totally wasted day.)

Backtracking a little--right before spring break our community choir, Henderson Choral Artists, had a concert. Oh man, it felt good to sing such a variety of musical styles (hymns, spirituals, choir arrangements) under the amazing direction of Darrell Crowther. The choir's performance was called "I Believe in Christ" and every song testified of our Savior and the glorious reason we celebrate Easter.

Tyce and I before the performance, contemplating our parts (bass and alto).

So we made it home and everyone got up on time for church. Of course, that could be because I told them the Easter Bunny only visits kids who actually go to church.


The hit of the baskets were the Zhu Zhu pets I got on mega sale at Target. They were perfect because Easter is about life, and hamsters are alive, and Ninja hamsters with weapons are . . . wait, where am I going with this? 


I didn't plan for our Easter brunch before we left for Utah; we had no ham! Boohoo! I hurried and made muffins, scrambled eggs, hot spinach dip in phyllo cups, left-over taquitos, and saltines-and-Nutella; I pulled hard-boiled eggs and  clementines out of the fridge. The centerpiece was made by Mary--she did the whole table.

Here are the men, ready to brunch it up.
 I was so glad to have a great spring break and to celebrate Easter with my family. I am so grateful that Jesus Christ died for me, and I rejoice that he HE LIVES!


I Believe in Christ
Hymns #134

I believe in Christ; he is my King!
With all my heart to him I’ll sing; 
I’ll raise my voice in praise and joy, In grand Amens my tongue employ.
I believe in Christ; he is God’s Son!
On earth to dwell his soul did come. 
He healed the sick; the dead he raised. Good works were his, his name be praised.

I believe in Christ; oh blessed name!
As Mary’s Son he came to reign. 
‘Mid mortal men, his earthly kin, To save them from the woes of sin.
I believe in Christ; who marked the path!
Who did gain all the Father hath. 
Who said to men, Come, Follow Me, That ye, my friends, with God may be.”

I believe in Christ – my Lord, my God!
My feet he plants on gospel sod. 
I’ll worship him with all my might; He is the source of truth and light.
I believe in Christ; he ransoms me!
From Satan’s grasp he sets me free. 
And I shall live with joy and love In his eternal courts above.

I believe in Christ; he stands supreme!
From him I’ll gain my fondest dream. 
And while I strive through grief and pain, His voice is heard;
“Ye shall obtain.”
I believe in Christ; so come what may!
With him I’ll stand in that great day, 
When on this earth he comes again To rule among the sons of men.




4 comments:

C.A.L.L.L.L. said...

Your pictures have inspired me to plan our summer vacation in Salt Lake City! Can't wait to see those quilts for myself. And the kids will have a blast in the kid part of the museum. Do they have a website?

Rebecca and Co. said...

This is the one to the museum:
http://lds.org/churchhistory/museum/0,16059,3991-1-2101,00.html

And this is one that tells of other sites of interest--I'd love to visit the other places mentioned. http://www.utah.com/mormon/temple_square.htm

We spent an afternoon but you could easily spend three half-days or more, depending on your kids' attention spans. We loved it.

Maia Hilyard said...

Looks like u'r family had a great time in UT :) I love visiting UT it still feels like home to me. I will have to go to that museum with kids next time we're up....looking forward to doing something new when i go to visit next time

Rebecca and Co. said...

Maia, you will have tons to see when you go to Temple Square! Check out that link I mentioned above (the utah.com one). There are several things I'd like to see with the whole family but I just didn't give myself enough time.