Thursday, November 6, 2008

One down

I am a runner on the track of November, and I just jumped over my first hurdle.

The program Young Women in Excellence was last night, and I must say, after all the anxiety and stress leading up to it, it was . . . excellent.

The girls displayed projects they've worked on in one of the seven values: Faith, Divine Nature, Individual Worth, Knowledge, Choice and Accountability, Good Works, and Integrity. There were items such as volleyballs, scrapbooks, handicrafts, reports on service, and art projects. We have awesome young women.

As far as the program goes, a highlight for me was the skit that my very talented friend Tomica wrote. The script was great--set at school, one girl laments that she'll never see her grandmother again, and the other girls explain the Plan of Salvation and invite her to church. It was funny, touching, and the acting by the girls was awesome!

I knew, knew, knew that the whole program would be fine, which helped me get through the day. I am getting SO much better about letting things go--the little details that I can get so hung up on. I printed the program--no clipart, no colored fonts. It took me 30 minutes. We put the tablecloths out--they weren't exactly even and weren't in value color "order" but I let it go. Only four out of the seven flags had all their parts, but the four we had looked great. Our special musical number was less-rehearsed than I would have liked, but it turned out fine.

Breathing in, breathing out . . . letting go.

I truly love the Young Women. I am so blessed to have this calling. I love the ladies I serve with, and the awesome young people of the church.

My next hurdle is planning the Thanksgiving dinner for the youth and the elderly in the ward. I have no idea what I'm doing or how to do this, and I'm wondering how this fell into my lap. But I'm taking a deep breath and . . . sprinting onward.

5 comments:

Aranne and Dan said...

Glad to hear that it went off so well.. thing like that always do. You never know how but they do.

KG said...

Oh boy...I can TOTALLY relate to this!! Brings back memories of 3 Great to be 8's, 3 Preisthood Preview's, 3 or 4 primary programs a year + random holiday song presentations from the ENTIRE primary of 140 kids!!! Can you believe I actually have very fond memories of those days? I almost had no time for anything else in my life at that time, but I loved all the ladies I served with which made these stressful occasions somehow enjoyable! I am the "little detail" personality too. I'm trying to "not sweat the small stuff", but it is VERY difficult for me! I just know that you are doing a great job with your calling! It's just the kind of person you are!:) Keep your chin up!

brooklyn said...

aye yie. so glad it went well! that feeling of being done is sooo nice (unless there's back to back). i have to admit i get a litle hyper-ventilaty when i read this because i'm so stressed about all of our holiday activities (amongst school, work, and kids). don't you wish we could use these callings on a resume?! seriously--we're event planners! that's no small thing.

Rebecca and Co. said...

Aranne and Karen--thank you. Brooklyn, you're right--this is definitely job experience. (Do you have a Christmas party to plan? Not to stress you out . . .)

The Hardy's said...

All of us need to learn to just let some things go. I'm glad you did. The whole program was a success.