Saturday, April 5, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY REBECCA!

Today Rebecca turns 34! Last night she went out with some close friends for pizza and a Nielsen's frozen custard. She had a good time with her friends and it was probably nice for all of them to get a break. We got to bed laaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I think Rebecca couldn't sleep, because she was so excited about her birthday....

Cam woke me up early enough that the twins and I went out and finished the shopping for Rebecca's family party. The twins convinced me to buy a pinata...they are obsessed and won't stop talking about it. Essentially, they are driving us crazy, b/c they know it is filled with candy. They helped decorate the house with banners and streamers and balloons! They are still excited by the little things. Tonight we will have dinner and I'll take Rebecca to a new (and relatively close) gelatto shop--a favorite of hers from Italy.

Ten Things About Rebecca you may or may not know:

10. She is quite good at arranging flowers, a hidden talent she probably wishes that she got to use more.

9. Our marriage has survived because of her sense of humour. She has a quick wicked tongue and I often find myself laughing because of her insightful digs rather than being angry.

8. She could probably make money writing jokes--she loves the pun and the little play on words--she honestly makes up jokes by the dozen and tests them out on me, the kids, and my dad.

7. She loves words in general, not just funny ones. Just when in my vanity I begin thinking I can outpace her vocabulary, she schools me. Yesterday she exposed my thirty-six year misuse of the word droll--look it up, it does not mean boring or tedious, just the opposite!

6. She's a very socially honest person. She never pretends to understand something that she doesn't, and is quick to ask questions in order to understand where I would just nod knowingly but be inwardly confused. If you've received a compliment from her, it's been genuine.

5. She's always been in tune with the needs of her children and not been afraid to follow inspiration that she's received to help them. Soon after one of our little one's came to live with us, Rebecca felt prompted that we should do very specific things when dealing with the child's birth family and treat them in a particular way. A couple of years later during a court ordered mediation setting, the child's birth mother stood up and said that because we had done the very things that Rebecca felt we should that she (the birth mother) did not oppose us adopting the child and would help us to make it happen.

4. Rebecca loves birthdays, not just her own. She always takes extra care to make sure that each member of her family has a special day, going out of her way to do what it is that will please that person.

3. When Rebecca was in Italy just after we were engaged and just before we were married, we communicated by fax! It was much cheaper than phone and much faster than mail--does the fact that we were married before email was super-common date us? She probably wishes that we would do that again, I probably wrote more in that two months than I have since :(

2. Rebecca doesn't like the beach, too much sand--where is she taking the Young Women for Girl's Camp? The beach.

1. What would Rebecca like most for her birthday? a thoughtful post on her blog, a card, a phone call---just to know that she had been remembered -- unless you have disposable cash on hand of course!

I love Rebecca!

4 comments:

Kimpromptu said...

Happy happy birthday, Rebecca dear

Happy days will come to you all year

If we have one wish then it would be...a happy happy birthday to you from us!

We love you very much!

the Ottosens

Darrell Crowther said...

Since I'm short on cash :-)

Happy Birthday! Those were ten sweet things to find out about you. You are a fascinating, gifted, kind, faithful person - it's a blessing to know you!

It sounds like you're having a great birthday - hopefully the beginning of the best year yet.

Vigoren Family said...

What a great tribute by an obviously admiring husband! I have loved getting to better know my sister's sister-in-law and her family through your awesome blog. You are one funny, smart, thoughtful, inspiring person (and I mean what I say too!). Happy Birthday!

Rebecca and Co. said...

Holy cow, such nice comments from everybody! (Especially Bryce, eh?) I had a wonderful birthday and it is a pleasure to be around for another year.

Kim, thanks for the phone call today. You are an awesome sister-in-law and I love you too.

Angie, I hope this is the best year yet too! Have you been thinking about book club since Thursday like I have?

Kellie, I've loved getting to know you through your blog too. I feel like I have an even bigger family with the addition of all of Brooklyn's siblings!