Friday, April 11, 2008

Dilemma

I went to Whole Foods, which I mentioned earlier. I went a second time this week. Yeah, the gelato was that good. But that's not why I went. They carry such items as falafel, couscous, tahini, and other world foods that they just don't carry at the local Food 4 Less. I shopped for a long time by myself, mingling amongst jars of everything from Indian masala to the intriguingly-named "Mama Africa's Jabula Sauce." Everything was so clean, and the deli smelled heavenly with Indian, Greek, Mexican, and other smells together. The cashiers looked happy and helpful. If I were richer I would shop there exclusively.

Today I went to a new store by us called Fresh and Easy Neighborhood Market. I know, you would think the last word of that title would be "bar." Or maybe that's just me. Apparently the "fresh" applies to food and "easy" applies to convenience and not the seedy nightlife we have around here. Anyway. It was like a tiny Whole Foods, with lots of fresh food and organic products in its little space. Again, the workers were super friendly and helpful and looked happy to be there. They even had samples. I had some fresh pineapple, Harrison had blueberry granola, and Cameron had a piece of cake.

So now I'm torn. I love a good value, which is why I shop at the dingy warehouse Food 4 Less. But I love the atmosphere and selection in those other stores, which is why they are so expensive. In one way I don't want to become a grocery-store snob and yet, in another way--that's totally what I want. To be surrounded by smiling people in a clean, fresh-looking store, with a wide selection of interesting food. Part of me wants to cry, "To heck with the budget!" and just make myself happy surrounded by beautiful things.

But the frugal part of me wants to slap that other part and say, "Just get yourself over to that warehouse and pick me up some waxy apples, a loaf of white bread, and a jar of grape jelly! We're feeding the whole family for $2.00 today!"

4 comments:

brooklyn said...

if there is one thing that merits indulgence, i believe it's food. and experiences (travel, recreation). let me start over. if there are three thing to indulge in, food should be one of them.

Dad77345 said...

Well you know me. When it comes to food shopping I'm ALL about the bargain. Coupon + On Sale= SCORE! The heck with ambience. Give me good prices. Guess that's why our pantry is stocked with a 5 year supply of kechup.

Vigoren Family said...

Is there a compromise? Maybe some food items from the nicer market and some from the regular ol' Food 4 Less? That's what I do. Luckily, we have a Trader Joes less than a 1/2 mile from home. Good environment, organic, and as cheap as conventional food. SCORE! I'm not a fan of Whole Foods myself. It seems a bit pretentious and over-marketed. They have way too many conventional fresh foods that cost more than organic at the normal grocer. Do you have a local co-op? Sometimes they're decently priced. Unfortanately, Albuquerque's is many miles away from our house and very inconvenient. Good luck with your dilemma! I have been there...and still am each time I grocery shop.

Rebecca and Co. said...

Dad, you make me laugh. ;) I have a 5-year supply of ketchup too.

Brooklyn, I appreciate your good taste.

Kellie, I think I can do what you do--some of both. We have a Trader Joes, but nowhere near anything I ever go by, so I've only been once. (But I love their ads.) I was amazed at the prices for produce at Whole Foods and I didn't buy any. I haven't comparison shopped on that front. I know we have a farmer's market somewhere, sometime . . .I will have to figure that out. I'm just taking baby steps here. LOL