Monday, March 10, 2008

The Weekend--Part 1

Two big things.

First, Youth Conference was Friday and Saturday, for all the kids ages 14-18. The first night there was an etiquette dinner and speaker. It was the most unusual menu: chicken fried steak, buttered penne, and green beans. I have never had chicken fried steak at a church function. I felt like I was at Luby's in Texas again.

The best part of Youth Conference happened the next day--we did a carnival for a disadvantaged elementary school without a PTA. Each ward was in charge of a booth. There was a soccer shoot-out, hair and face painting, bean bag toss, and the like. There was even a bounce house and a snow cone maker. Our group did a large-scale tic-tac-toe and, the favorite of the carnival-goers, DONUT ON A STRING. There were four pastries hanging from clips on a wooden frame, so four kids could "compete" at a time. Once someone ate their donut off the string the other kids could take theirs off too and end the torture. LOL There was nothing more entertaining than watching those little kids standing there, hands behind their backs, trying to catch a nibble while the donut spun around. (The trick was to either get above it or under it; otherwise they just pushed it around.)

It was wonderful to see the youth serving the kids and really enjoying it, and wonderful to see the families enjoy such a fun and free activity.

Later that night was what I considered to be the lamest part of the conference, the dinner and dance. The dance was DJ'd by an "old" guy (the dad of one of the participants) and he wouldn't allow any of the kids' music to be played. I understand that, IF YOUR COLLECTION INCLUDES MODERN MUSIC. Oh, those poor kids. They had to listen to Huey Lewis and the News, MC Hammer, Bryan Adams (Everything I Do, I Do it For You), and even Boot Scoot Boogie. There was a hula hoop contest (which was fun) and the song playing was "The Twist." One of my Laurels who likes to tease me said, "Sister Jones, why aren't you out there dancing? This song is from your generation." OOOOOOOO! She ran away laughing, the little punk!

I did get some good chatting in with the YW president of the Newport ward and a few other friends I don't normally see. Eventually when the talking was done I got really bored I decided to text message Bryce. I wanted to see what they hype was about, because all the young people are obsessed with texting.

i m bored what r u doin L8TR


Then I felt my IQ dropping so I had to stop.

Anyway, that was Youth Conference.

No comments: