Wednesday, March 5, 2008

She got me

A few weeks ago Mary wanted to do Mad Libs. I took a turn to ask her to fill in the blanks. This is how our conversation went.

Me: Okay, I need an adverb. You know, a word that ends in "-ly".

M: No, Mr. Lavender said that an adverb tells time, like "yesterday." He couldn't remember what an adverb was so he looked it up in the dictionary, and so he's right.

Me: Well, that's a very narrow definition of an adverb, but that's part of it. To make this story right, why don't you just give me a word that ends with "-ly".

M: Hmmmmm . . . . . . . FLY.

Me: Ohhhhhkayyyyyy. That word ends in "-ly" but it's not an adverb. An adverb tells how something is done, like the dog ran happily, slowly, angrily . . .

M: MONOPOLY.

1 comment:

Mopsie said...

I don't think there's any way to win with our Mary! Bright kids can be so literal . . .