Saturday, December 8, 2007

Ward Christmas Party

The evening began with Bryce at the microphone:

"Welcome to the Palo Verde Ward Christmas Party!"

What he meant to say:

"The theme for this year's party is Two People With No Committee Get Trumped by Unscheduled Baptisms and Have to Set Up At the Last Minute, Not to Mention the Fact that the Angel Tree Information--Which is Highly Unusual for the WAC to be in Charge Of--was Received at 3 pm for a 6 pm Party and, By the Way, Our Printer Broke Mid-Cycle and We Only Have 12 of the 28 Angels Printed Out for You."

And I thought the week leading up to the party was pretty stressful!

Well after all that drama, we had a fine night. It was a dessert party, where families brought their favorite treats to share. There were some pretty good-looking (and tasting) things. As the WAC, we provided a fruit tray, a vegetable tray, nuts, and punch. This is my observation regarding punch: our ward is full of very thirsty people. I spent a hefty part of my time making new batches and refilling the bowl.

While the people socialized at their tables they also put together gingerbread houses. Mary was lucky enough to have one of the Primary teachers, Sister Durham, help her stick her walls together, because she (M.) was very very frustrated trying to do it herself with no adult supervision. In the end it turned out great and she was very proud. She was the only kid to make her own gingerbread house (the others were done by several people together, usually a whole family or two). The twins spent their time crawling under tables, finding and eating fallen candy.



The second part of the night was the musical program. I wasn't in the room for any of that but from what I heard in the kitchen it sounded great. There was a family who did a fun number, a few songs from a lady who sings like an angel, and Silent night sung by the Bishop and Bro. Muaina (with guitar), as well as reading of the Christmas story.

Tyce was a big help when it came to setting up and taking down. I don't think we could have done it without him.

3 comments:

Vigoren Family said...

Oh stress is filling my stomache! Ours is on Friday and I'm hoping everything flows without too many glitches! What a project. I bet you're happy tonight!

Mopsie said...

I'm sorry you had to actually miss much of it, but the party sounds great. You're the best!

brooklyn said...

Sounded like it went well! We finished ours last night and I am feeling the weight of the world fly far away from my life.

Love Mary's house!