Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Thoughts on Santa

My friend Jen and I were comparing ward Christmas activities last night. She was horrified to find out that we didn't have Santa at our party. Bryce was told by a vocal, opinionated long-time ward member that the ward was anti-Santa at the ward party. I told this to Jen and she said, "Does XY speak for the whole ward then?" Hmmmm. I guess my assumption was . . . yes.

We both have four kids, pretty much the same ages. Is it a crime to deprive the children of a visit from St. Nick? Is that a pretty integral part of any ward party (with the exception of activities like Night in Bethlehem)?

I will say that both of our older children assumed that SC would be there and were really quite surprised to find out otherwise.

Anyway, I started to write my thoughts on Santa but they seemed too scoogey so I erased them.

I looked through a catalog yesterday and found these salt and pepper shakers that are SO up my alley. I think they are about the coolest (expensive, impractical) things ever. Santa, I love you in small, miniature doses.

Here's me going off on a tangent: This is the cutest salt and pepper shaker I have ever seen, non-Christmas. Seriously, who hasn't wished that their S&P could give each other a hug?

4 comments:

brooklyn said...

my opinion:
santa = envy, consumerism, materialism, capitalism and detracts from the real purpose of christmas.

but, if you're going to throw a Christmas party that's not based on the spiritual aspect, i think it's best he's there. definitely not a MUST, though.

Vigoren Family said...

We're not having Santa at our party. Not one single AC member wanted him there! I was relieved, but hope I don't hear the wrath of other parents when they find out.

Rebecca and Co. said...

Thanks for your opinions. I've heard some wards have a breakfast with Santa, and then later an adult dinner, so as not to detract from the spiritual aspect of the evening. Of course, you deprive everyone under the age of 18 from feeling the Spirit, but . . . at least they got to see St. Nick.

My main problem with Santa at a church function is that we tell kids, "Believe in Heavenly Father Jesus even though you can't see them. Believe in Santa, too! Oh wait, you're old enough to know I was just kidding about Santa."

I tell my kids that Santa loves Jesus so much that he wants to share his happines with the whole world by bringing each child a present. When they get a little older I say, "Wow, isn't it fun to think about Santa? You know the Santas we see today are based on an actual person that lived a long time ago." I try to leave the door open that Santa is a fun legend and not "real."

Last year (or two?) ago Mary asked me, "Mom, is Santa magic or does he have the Priesthood?" (!!!!)

Anyway, those are my thoughts (most of which got erased in the original post).

brooklyn said...

interesting and good thoughts. i have stuggled with santa. i feel so deceptive telling cambria about him, although i sure have enjoyed the quick behavior fixes that reminders of elves bring.