Monday, December 31, 2007

Sunday Funny

I substituted in the Primary 6 class yesterday and the lesson was about prayer. This is how part of our lesson went:

Me: When we pray, we use special language because we're talking to God. So instead of "thank you" we say "I thank thee". Let's practice, okay? You tell me something you're thankful for, and then you'll say "I thank thee for . . ." that thing.

Child 1: I'm thankful for my new Hummer from Santa Claus. "I thank thee for my new Hummer."

Me: Ummmm . . . Okay! Next person.

Child 2: I'm thankful for . . .

Child 3: Teacher! Teacher! I got a train set from Santa Claus and it's really big and it has a whistle like this: hoooo hooooo! And then . . .

Child 4: Oooh! Teacher! I got a dolly . . .

Me: Okay children, wait your turn. And maybe you could think of something you're thankful for that's with you all the time, like your family--something you want to thank Heavenly Father for. Child 2?

Child 2: I'm thankful for my family. "I thank thee for my family."

Me: Good!

(And this continues through the rest of the group, with the standard answers of house, family, clothes, etc.)

Me: Now when we pray we can also ask Heavenly Father for blessings or to help us. When we pray we would say "We ask thee . . ." for what we need. Let's start on the other side this time. Child 6? What is something you could ask Heavenly Father for?

Child 6: I could ask for my dead dog to come back to life. I really miss him because he was brown and cute. "I ask thee for my dead dog to come back alive."

Me: Ohhhh . . . Your dog won't come back to life on this earth but someday he will be with you in Heaven, won't he?

Child 6: Yep.

Child 5: My Uncle Charlie died and he was so fun, he played games with me like tag and he was really cool. He had a red backpack and he would come over and say, "Hey, who wants to play?" Yeah, I'm sad he's dead . . . and actually his name was Wayne.

No comments: