Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A few more things

Today Harrison took his first trip the the ER. I believe he fell against the corner of the hearth and tore a hole in his top lip clear through. (I know. Gross.) There was a lot of blood. There were a lot of tears. At first I blamed Cameron because, frankly, Cameron was in a naughty mood this morning and I figured he'd done something to cause the incident. No wonder he was so indignant when I removed him from the scene. Looking back, I really think he was innocent.

Harrison got three stitches and guess what. He's already pulled two of them out. The doctor just gave him a regular band-aid but he needed to get one of those industrial super-glue ones, you know? The kind that stay on for two weeks and then leave a black outline when you finally summon the courage to yank it off.

Unfortunately I missed the birthday party I was so looking forward to (my friend Jen). It was a lunch at Rebecca's house, which the kids were going to, of course, but the afternoon's festivities were to revolve around the adults. Ironically, I was getting ready to leave when everything went pear-shaped. I believe this is my children's way of saying that I'm not allowed to do anything fun.

*********

Mary Rachel had screamed and yelled last night about something she perceived as unfair. (I got Tyce an Oreo blast at Sonic after his open house and had the audacity to not buy one for her. I did anticipate that reaction though and tried to hurry Tyce up on eating it in the car but he wanted to save the rest for later.) I'm trying my best to implement the tactics outlined in the book Parenting with Love and Logic and get her to own and solve her own problems. It ended well, though getting there was a bit exhausting. Anyway, this is my typed version of the note she left for me the next morning. I was very impressed with her ability to express her feelings:


Dear Mom I cant exsplan how good you were to me and wen I lost hop in my faith you wod not let me down. I am so sary Love Mary to Mom


I love that Mary Rachel Jones!

*********

Tyce came home singing a rap song he heard on someone's iPod at school. It is a catchy tune and quite popular right now. We watched the video on youtube and I couldn't really tell what the song was about or what they were saying. So I looked at the actual lyrics and asked, "What are you going to do if the song has a bunch of bad words in it?" Tyce said, "Well, then I'll stop singing it, of course." It turns out ignorance was bliss because once we read the lyrics they were vulgar and nasty. (Really vulgar, really nasty, though he used phrases and words for things I don't even know.)

So here's my question. When I was a teenager, I listened to and sang popular music, and only as an adult did I say, "Holy cow, are you kidding?" (For example, "Like a Virgin" by Madonna.) If a song is cool and catchy, does it ruin your sense of decency and morality to listen to it, even if it's "bad?"

*******

I'm posting a few more pictures, just because I can. They include my $300 piano, and our $400 dining table and 6 chairs (both from craigslist), and our new TV. Also, Kess running outside.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

reading "the harrison incident" made made my teeth hurt. how could he pull his own stitches out!? that kid is tough as nails. i hope he's ok and feeling better.

/yer bro peep/

brooklyn said...

oh my gooness! poor little harrison! that's so hard to see and go through (for you and him).

loved mary's note. classic.

Rebecca and Co. said...

I don't know how he pulled the stitches out except it was shortly after the ER visit and maybe he was still numb? He's going to have a scar.

He seems fine now.

Mopsie said...

Children's timing is so good, isn't it? Poor Harrison. Hope the scar is small.
Mary Rachel is quite a girl. I loved her sincere note. She's going to give you a bumpy ride, but it will be worth it.
Love the new furniture items! Can't wait to see them for myself.
And the rest of you, too, of course.