Monday, April 9, 2007

Easter Joy

We had a lovely day yesterday. We had a nice time going to church, and I lasted half the meeting before taking the twins out to the hallway (due to fighting over a marker). Mary Rachel ended up chasing Harrison all around the chapel trying to get him to "be good" which resulted in Bryce getting off the stand to intervene. I thought the two of them were at the water fountain. Oops.


I substituted as the Primary chorister and taught the kids the hymn "I Know that my Redeemer Lives" which was perfect for an Easter Sunday!

After church we did Easter baskets and and egg hunt. Candy was a big hit and it made me really, really glad we didn't give them any *before* church. We had sticky-sweet Resurrection Rolls for breakfast and that was plenty of sugar to start the day. (We've also had these when camping and made in a dutch oven--you should try them. Our kids gobbled them up). The Resurrection Rolls have symbolism behind them so if the kids help you make them, they're getting a mini Easter lesson in the process.


Mary Rachel and Tyce show off their eggs on Easter Eve.


Mary Rachel, Cameron, Harrison, and Tyce outside the church building.

The kids after their Easter egg hunt in the front yard.



Here's an outline of our Easter festivities, as I read the minds of each child:

Tyce: When are we going to decorate the eggs? Oh wait, I'm 10 years old and I'm too old for that "kid" stuff. But I'll do it anyway, just to make Mom happy. Hey, check out my half-blue, half-red one! It says: "BYU vs. Utah" in white crayon. Pretty cool, huh? Well, I guess decorating was okay, but I'm too old to hunt for eggs. I want to hide them instead. But wait, if I hide them, I can't hunt for them (Mom's stupid rule). Okay, I'll wait inside with the rest of the family. But this is the last year I'm doing this. Next year I'll be in 6th grade and I'm pretty sure I'll be too old for this little kid stuff. (Or will I)?


Mary Rachel: Decorating eggs was the highlight of my Easter. I took great care to use the right colors and when Mom said we'd be eating them later, I was horrified. I asked if I could take them to my room to keep forever but she said "no." I also liked my new dress, which was not pink. I recently confessed to not liking pink anymore and Mom was really sad for some reason. Anyway, I also got to wear some earrings to church so I was feeling like hot stuff. I told Mom that our breakfast rolls were *damn* good and I got in trouble, which kind of stinks because I was trying to be extra nice for Easter.

Harrison: I like eggs. I like to gather and collect eggs. I will group the eggs by color. I open each egg and eat the contents--I like the Reese's chocolate eggs first, then the Butterfinger eggs, then the jellybeans. I know which eggs are mine and will defend myself agains my brother's pesky attempts to steal what is rightfully mine.

Cameron: Woo hoo! Yeah! Looks like you people are having some kind of party! This basket makes a great hat. I only have one egg in my basket after the egg hunt, and that's fine by me 'cuz guess what . . . I already ate the candy out of it. Oh yeah! First one to eat the candy! I don't see what the big deal is about getting "lots" of eggs because I already ate "lots" of candy. Besides, if I want more, I'll just take one of Harrison's when he's not looking.

2 comments:

brooklyn said...

hilarious! love it!

Anonymous said...

hee hee hee.....great giggle!