Friday, April 13, 2007

Book Club

Last night was our 2nd book club meeting, this time at my house. We discussed the book "Left to Tell" by Immaculee Ilibagiza, which was horrifying and inspiring. Themes from our discussion included the following:

--the will to survive
--the importance of individual attitude
--the hunger for power and dominance
--God's plan

. . . and many, many others. I was also struck by how beautiful Rwanda is, and how very little I know about it except where to find it on a map.

If you've seen the movie "Hotel Rwanda" I recommend this book as an even better (more comprehensive) portrayal of the situation there at the time. I was glad to read this book and to discuss it with some very intelligent and spirited ladies.

Our next selection is "The Chosen" by Chaim Potok. It has been a long time since I've read it.

2 comments:

brooklyn said...

i'll put that on my list. i've got in on my calendar for june 1, 2024, the month after maya graduated from HS and moves out.

i don't understand how you read with two toddling twin boys. consider it a talent.

Rebecca and Co. said...

Ha! You're funny.