Friday, March 16, 2012

Psalms

I taught two lessons about the Psalms this week. What beautiful praises those are. I showed my class two video interpretations of Psalm 23 (The Lord is my shepherd). The first was transcribed from the Masoretic text with an ancient melody and Hebrew subtitles. This may have been how David played it himself. The second was a beautiful rendition of our LDS hymn.

I love Psalm 24:3-4. We have a scripture mastery song we sing to this verse and it's my favorite one because of the melody and also the message.

Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord? or who shall stand in his holy place? He that hath clean hands a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.

Isn't it interesting to think that Jesus himself studied those very scriptures? As a young child he read the poetic prophesies of his birth, ministry, death, and resurrection in those words. In his life he quoted from the Psalms more than any other book, and why was that? I think because the people were likely very familiar with the words. Those who truly understood with their minds and hearts recognized Jesus as the promised Messiah, the Savior of the World. Would I have been among the believers who recognized Him?


Greg Olsen, Lost No More

Once a religion professor told me that if I was ever feeling down or only had time to read a few scriptures, to turn to Psalms. Through my study this week I have felt blessed to study those passages. I have indeed been renewed.




No comments: