Sunday, July 20, 2008

I took 2500 pictures

Exaggeration? Only slightly. I couldn't keep from snapping photos left and right. It was the BEST. VACATION. EVER. Woo hooooooo!!! In case I haven't mentioned it before, Bryce is an awesome vacation planner and I just had the BEST time with him.

Bryce and his co-workers finished their work on Tuesday, the day I flew out. I got to spend the afternoon with them. Here are Bryce and I, the Judge, Donna, and Betsy. Donna, you have arrived!



We stayed at Cavallo Point--the lodge at the Golden Gate, which is a renovated Fort Baker. Bryce and I did yoga in the mornings and I even had a massage at the spa. (My first. It was pretty good.) There were four rooms in this building.



The view from our living room window. See the bridge?



We had a convertible! Bryce always knew where we were going.



I knew I looked really cool.



I took a ton of pictures of the Bridge. I like this one.



A highlight of the trip was seeing the Chihuly exhibit at the de Young. It was breathtaking. How do you become interested in glass-blowing, I wonder? I'm so glad we got to see this awesome display. Here is just a sampling of his work.








After the Chihuly, we toured the permanent collection at the museum. This is how I look in the morning.



Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the goofiest couple of all?



The Japanese Tea Garden was very tranquil.



We found an Indian restaurant in Sausalito called Gaylord's that we enjoyed. We had dinner one night and liked it so much we ate lunch there the next day. The food was great, but the view from "our table" was even better.



On the same street as Gaylord's was this home. The green sign says: PRIVATE BEACH NO TRESPASSING. If you moved there, I'd totally visit you and your little private beach.



A lovely view of Sausalito. The "Private Beach" house and Gaylord's are both along the pier.



There were several military bases built to guard the "golden gate" from invasion. All are defunct as such; some of them, like the Presidio (shopping and museums) and Fort Baker (hotel and dining) are re-purposed, while others are windows into their former lives.



We attempted to hike to the Point Loma lighthouse. The trail was closed, but we sneaked in a fair way before chickening out. (Closed for what? Mountain lion attacks? Damaged trails that slip right down into the ocean?) We are very law-abiding citizens at heart. I had to be content with this shot from afar.



Bryce has picked out the boat he wants.



We pose by a fountain in the park.



As his early birthday present, Bryce wanted to go to a Giants game. As you can see, the stadium overlooks the water and, to date, there have been 47 balls hit into the bay. (None while we were there.) The game was fun, mostly because we got to sit by the grumpy super-fans who were not happy to be losing, and have a Brewers fan a few seats down.



The super-fans!



Bryce and I were super-fans by the end of the night.



David told us to get the garlic fries--trust him. Man, were they good.



I was going to include a picture of the anti-mascot, which provided a lot of cheer. I mean, booing. But that would just be picture overload, don't you think?

Anyway, another highlight of the trip was taking picture of women wearing scarves. I like to mock this trend, for the reasons that anyone ever mocks anything: I'm secretly jealous. I wish I lived in a climate where wearing a scarf wouldn't give you heat stroke, and where the prevailing fashion were less monster truck rally and a little more . . . uhh . . . anything else.

There's something thrilling about grabbing secret scarf-wearing footage of people on the street. Maybe I would make a good PI. Or a good stalker. At any rate, I found a few people here and there, until we went to the SF MOMA. Then I hit the mother lode. I couldn't possibly keep my camera pointing and shooting fast enough to catch them all. These pictures are but a few of my favorites.

The Euro.



The Golfer. (Or the Betsy?)



The Lanky Glam.



The Winter.



The Strangler.



The Happy Granny.



Finally we ended our trip by spending a day with the Cooks. We ate at my s-i-l Brooklyn's favorite restaurant in Chinatown, and then hit the SF MOMA. After that we went to the Yerba Buena gardens where my nieces Cambria and Maya ran around and were there little adorable selves. Seriously, they are two of the cutest kids around. I just love that whole family.

Brooklyn and Cambria.



David and Maya.



Then it was back to real life, where we discovered that Heather survived, the kids survived, and the house was still standing. Have I already mentioned that it was the best vacation ever? It was, but mostly because I got to spend it with my awesome, amazing, adorable husband Bryce. I love you!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Kimpromptu said...

Beautiful artwork! thanks for sharing! Glad you are home.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea who you are or how I found this, but that place Cavallo Point is ridiculous!!! (http://www.cavallopoint.com) THANKS FOR THE SHOTS OF ALL THE CHILHOULY GLASS!

WOW!

brooklyn said...

wow. i am convinced! we'll have to go to chilhouly next week!

i love seeing betsy in there!

great pics.

jessenpetty said...

HOW FUN!! Maybe one day I will get the guts to leave my kids with a babysitter and my husband and I can take a cool trip! I didn't know that Bryce worked with Judje (sp?) Dawson? I love him!! He was our Stake President for a really long time! He is so great! Cute pictures thanks for sharing them!

Mopsie said...

So glad you had an awesome time. It sounds great! Everyone needs some rejuvenation time now and then. (Bet Bryce needed it, too.) I REALLY would love to see the Chihouly glass.
And - big kudos to Heather!

Betsy Fowler said...

hahahhahha! Just got the shorts comment!! didn;t see it earlier :)
Rebecca you are funny
and I am in style... or so say my diva roommates