Monday, February 4, 2008

A Thought

I came across this beautiful ideal and hope to make it my own.

To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury; and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable; and wealthy, not rich; to study hard; think quietly, act frankly; to listen to stars and birds, to babes and sages, with open heart; to bear all cheerfully, do all bravely, await occasion, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious grow up through the common.

This is to be my symphony.

--Willian Ellery Channing

3 comments:

brooklyn said...

i painted my mom a picture once with the end part of that quote on it. it's a good one (although in my current tired state it seems like an exhausting amount of tempering).

Rebecca and Co. said...

LOL Yes to do all that at once would be exhausting.

Vigoren Family said...

Very calming advice for me. Love it!