Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Mary's Baptism

The week before her big day, we had a lesson on baptism for Family Home Evening. Mary Rachel, who always knows the right answers and frequently blows her teachers and the bishopric away with her knowledge, was stressing out. Bryce pushed her buttons (sorry, honey, but you did) and by the end of the lesson she was crying, "I don't know if I want to get baptized! I don't want to be responsible for being good all the time!"

It was like she was thinking, "I want to delay my fresh start for as long as possible because after that, it'll all be downhill."

With some explaning and a lot of hugs, we explained that taking the sacrament each week, having the gift of the Holy Ghost, and repentance are ways she can honor her baptismal covenant and remain clean. This seemed to reset her mind at ease and all was well again.

That Saturday Bryce and Mare went to the church to get their baptismal clothes. M. said they looked like they were wearing space suits(!). After a prayer, some music, and a talk on the ordinance, our family filed out of the chapel and into the baptismal font area. I took M. through the restroom and out the special doors that led to the font, where Bryce as waiting for her in the water. I kept the door open a peep so I could watch; Bryce said the words of the prayer, and with one arm on M.'s back and one on her arm, he lowered her into the water and back up. She did it!

She climbed the steps back into the restroom, where I was waiting for her with a towel and dry clothes. I helped her into her new white dress, and gave her a butterfly necklace. I told her that she was like a butterfly, changed into something different and even more beautiful. I gave her a hug and she looked so sweet and happy.

In the Relief Society room Tyce and I sang a duet of "Beautiful Savior" accompanied by Rebecca Shapiro. Sister Small, the Primary President gave a short presentation, and then Bryce confirmed Mary a member the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and invited her to receive the Holy Ghost.

Bro. Callister welcomed our girl as the newest member of the Church and shared some thoughts on baptism and bore testimony of the Savior.

After a closing song and prayer, she got lots of hugs and compliments from grandmas, grandpas, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends. Tyce's friend Dalton even came, so it was a missionary opportunity for him. (Besides, they knew they'd be playing at our house after!) Then we went back home for pictures and food.

These are Mary's account, as written in her new journal (which she handed me to read):

Feduary 16 2008 Saterday

To day i'm geting bathtisede! I'm very exsited! All our relitivs are coming. I was very nervis at first but when I stept into the warm water I felt calm and relaxst. I love my famly. After my bathtisem we had a huge lunch.


Thank you so much to friends, and especially our wonderful family, who traveled to spend this special day with our special girl.






Check out that angelic glow!

4 comments:

Roberts Family said...

Congratulations Mary! She looks so beautiful. Wow, everybody is growing so fast. Sophie's baptism will be in May, so fun to look forward to. Glad you had such a nice family day.:)

Vigoren Family said...

Way to go Mary! What a great weekend. I love your kid quotes, too!

Rebecca and Co. said...

Thank you, Ellie and Kellie, for your kind words! I will pass them on. I hope Sophie's baptism is a wonderful day when it comes.

brooklyn said...

we're so glad we got to be there. it was great to be there all together and celebrate mary-- she's the best!