Monday, November 26, 2007

I've been thinking



And here's a picture to prove it.

I've been reading The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck. I read it in college when I was in a totally different stage of life. I'm finding my re-read very enlightening.

So far I've been thinking about the difference between being neurotic and character deficient (most people being a little of both about different things). The first take all problems on themselves; the second put problems on others. On average I'd say I'm, oh, 99% neurotic. Peck states that neurotics are great therapy patients. LOL

I am also interested in the section about self-discipline, which he says is also self-care. If you value yourself, you value your time and resources, and you'll use them wisely. I've been contemplating this in my tendency to procrastinate . . . how highly do I value myself?

Anyway, I'm hoping to read this along with Bryce so we can discuss. If anyone else wants to join in, please do.

3 comments:

brooklyn said...

compelling. i liked those theories (although "character deficient" seems a bit harsh. i guess i'd have to read it in context.

time management is a toughie...

Rebecca and Co. said...

Yeah, the term character deficient is one of many less-than-flattering psychological terms. When I was in college I learned to take those labels with a grain of salt.

Mopsie said...

I remember that this book impressed you in college. Cool that you are reading it again with an "adult" perspective.