Friday, December 9, 2011

Decking the Halls

I am trying to focus on peace as December marches onward. I've done well, except for the insane amount of time I've obsessed about our family portrait wardrobe. What's that saying, the devil is in the details? Maybe. It will all be over tomorrow when--for better or worse--we will have our annual holiday picture.

Focusing on the positive, you know. Here are some things I like about Christmas.

Cute kids playing on the hearth.


The piano dressed up.

The tree in all her sparkly glory.

Giant-headed snowmen from Target for the boys.

Adorable red-scarfed penguin for the girl.

Focusing on the true meaning of Christmas. I love this set. But the kids played with baby Jesus so much last year they broke off his head. I can't decide if it's disrespectful to still display this nativity or not?

Stockings for everyone, even the dog.

Mine and Bryce's favorite decoration, cut from our first tree as a family.

Reading special books at night.

Watching Christmas specials on TV! Though I was dismayed to discover Harrison does not like the classic claymation Rudolph the Red-nosed reindeer.

I look forward to having my parents visit next week, getting the carpets cleaned (much needed), singing the Hallelujah chorus with Tyce's choir on stage at the high school, our HCA performance at church next Sunday night, wrapping gifts (or more specifically, being done with wrapping gifts), making treats, and all the other good things that happen at this--as Bing would say--the most wonderful time of the year.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not a real Nativity until someone breaks Baby Jesus. It just means he was loved and not ignored. I won't tell you who broke our Baby Jesus...I think Mom replaced him several times until she just superglued his head back on and called it good.
Heather

Silver Strands said...

Wow Rebecca - this makes me want to pop in for a visit! And now I REALLY want to see your family portrait!

SweetmamaK said...

You should always have a broken nativity, as long as it's not from the priceless heirloom your ancestors brought on the Mayflower.