Thursday, July 26, 2007

Here's the thing

I told myself that I wouldn't be a perfectionist when it came to this blog. Somehow I'm still bogged down in the details, meaning I'm finding it hard to just "do it" unless it can be just right. So please forgive my absence this week. Pictures and formatting issued be dammed! I'm just going to write.

I just got back from book club tonight at Camme's house, where we discussed "Cry, the Beloved Country." I loved it . . . the book and especially the meeting. A vague summary (from amazon.com): Cry, the Beloved Country is the deeply moving story of the Zulu pastor Stephen Kumalo and his son, Absalom, set against the background of a land and a people riven by racial injustice. Remarkable for its lyricism, unforgettable for character and incident, Cry, the Beloved Country is a classic work of love and hope, courage and endurance, born of the dignity of man.


Some themes we discussed included:

-- the biblical symbolism in character's names
-- poverty and aid
-- service
-- need vs. wants
-- the gorgeous writing, which was breathtaking. (I used the word "lyricism" but it sounded like I was copying the amazon.com review).

Our next book is called "A Girl Named Zippy" by Haven Kimmel (a memoir).

***

Want to know what else is going on with us . . . okay. I really, really want a piano. The keyboard has served its purpose and now we need a real instrument. I am busy researching.

I played in the backyard with the twins and little Emily Shapiro today. It is still all rocks and dirt, which is surprisingly fun for little children. They can use the toy dump trucks really well, not to mention pour dirt on each other when I'm not looking. I'd say they had a good time.

The twins had their developmental evaluations earlier this week (two 3 hour blocks--phew). This was to see if they qualify for preschool at the local elementary, kind of a Head Start thing (but it's not Head Start). At first I was pretty confident that they'd get in because they are still a bit delayed, or at least I know kids their age who are more advanced. Anyway, after going to the evaluations with them I'm 99% positive they *won't* get in, which is good and bad. Good, because that means they're on track and doing well. Bad, because I'd already scheduled in a yoga class during their preschool time. j/k

***

That's about all I can think of that's "going on." Basically I am very tense about selling the old house and a bit grouchy and single-minded about it. It's a good thing we went on vacation last week because I'm pretty sure I felt relaxed then.

3 comments:

brooklyn said...

fun to hear what's up with you guys. yeah for cam and harrison.
good luck with the house!

Mopsie said...

If you're "pretty sure" you were relaxed, I'd say it's already time for another vacation!
You do an amazing job with all your kids. If Harrison and Cameron are doing so well, it's mainly because of YOU. Kudos! Love you.

Rebecca and Co. said...

Thank you, Mom!