Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Simple Christmas

We were issued a challenge by the stake presidency to share the gospel with someone by a certain date. I asked my own presidency about the same thing and when they reported to me their experiences it re-confirmed to me how amazing these ladies are.

My experience was that I substituted in seminary and was able to teach a student's friend some of the basic principles of our beliefs. I really felt the Spirit as I testified first and foremost that Jesus is our Savior and that through Him, we can overcome spiritual death (sin) and physical death (mortality) and strive for eternal life, which is the greatest of all the gifts of God.

Michele talked with a co-worker who had gone through a hard time about the plan of salvation--who we are, why we are here, and where we are going. 

Amy works with a young mother and she said, "I'd bet your boys would love Primary." The friend asked, "What is Primary?" Amy explained and invited her to church so that she could see, and have a friend to sit with as well.

Merridee and her husband had a long-time friend over to work on their house. He asked them, "Are you Mormon? Really?" He had a lot of misconceptions (for example, he asked, "How do you handle the women thing?") but was interested in finding out the truth. His wife had gone to a Relief Society activity with a friend and so it sparked his interest. She and her husband had a great discussion with him.

I loved hearing their experiences. It made me feel closer to our Lord, especially at this time of year when we celebrate his birth.

The highlight of the Christmas season so far was the lesson my sweet friend Kim taught in Relief Society. She showed a video that touched me deeply and that I'd like to show my own family on Christmas eve. It is called Reflections of Christ




I hope to keep focused on the reason for the season and not get bogged down by the stress and pressure that comes in December.


No comments: