Tuesday, September 17, 2013

One of Those Days

It was a rush-around morning. I was busy getting ready for a training meeting with my presidency at President Udall's office (which was awesome). But I didn't have time to make the twins breakfast so I called downstairs, "Boys! Get your own cereal!" to which they whined, "We don't want that! We're not hungry! We're playing Legos!"

Later Cameron came into my room, ready to brush his teeth. "Good," I said, "You ate breakfast. What did you have? Cheerios?"

"Marshmallows," he replied. "We both had marshmallows."

Great.

The day went along from there, in the exact same vein. Mary didn't get up when I left for my meeting and she was unmedicated and unmotivated to dive into her school work. In fact, I saw evidence of what she'd been up to while I was gone: she'd moved the stove burner grates and roasted marshmallows over the gas flame. I also asked her to watch an episode of NOVA and she did--the only one I said to skip, "What Aliens Might Look Like." I was exhausted from a multi-night bout of insomnia and I went to take a nap.

Cameron was so spazzy at homework time I told him to stop and to go play. And then Harrison tried to go to Cub Scouts with no shoes. And then I realized that they had moved up to the next level but they didn't have the right gear.

I didn't make dinner tonight. And I showed up to a visiting teaching appointment that was canceled.

Have you ever had one of those days?

Man, I am looking forward to going to bed tonight.


No comments: