Friday, February 22, 2013

Valentine's Day

What do you think of Valentine's Day? Is it a made-up day to force people into buying flowers and chocolate? Is it a day for romance and amor? For me, it's a day to decorate with my favorite colors and show my family I think they're pretty cool. I like having a special day to celebrate the love of family and friends.

I don't do anything fancy but I do enjoy setting a festive table.

Woo! It's a heart attack!


I gave each kid a little pressie of candy and gum. Can you believe I got each of these things for 25 cents on clearance at Fresh and Easy?

I started off the morning teaching seminary. I say that I "taught" but we really had a party, planned by the class. I brought these treats for the kids. I exercised super-human restraint by passing up all FOUR doughnut boxes brought in. When you're trying to be healthy the world is out to get you.

Kettle corn.
I taught a short lesson on love, using my favorite visual for John 3:16. And then I got a surprise from my sweet student, Ashley--a Valentine card for me!

It was the teacher card!
 For breakfast I bought Toaster Strudel and made an egg, sausage, and potato casserole in the crock pot. I, of course, had a smoothie.

Awwww.

That night I made my piece de resistance, LUVSAGNA. I waited all month to spring that delightfully fitting-sounding menu item on my family.

Luv it.
For dinner I gave everyone a small box of chocolates (Ghiradelli squares for Bryce). I continued my tradition of giving each person a special card wherein I write three things I love about them.

I just realized I didn't take any pictures of the people I love, which is kind of ironic for someone who professes to be a fan of Valentine's Day. The twins brought cards to school (Star Wars for Harrison, The Avengers for Cam). They had fun class parties and ate a lot of sugar. Mary had a fairly normal junior high day. Tyce brought flowers and a chocolate bar for his valentine, a friend named Jessica. I picked him up that day for an appointment and nearly every kid I saw was carrying balloons or stufffed animals. I guess having a one-day valentine is a big thing at his school.

As for Bryce and me, we went out on Monday to lunch and a movie--spicy chicken salads at Pei Wei and then Les Miserables again. That was our celebration and it's a good thing we did it early because Bryce got the stomach virus the kids had suffered from and wasn't feeling his best for days after. We sure enjoyed being together though and there's no one I'd rather have be my valentine than Bryce.


1 comment:

SweetmamaK said...

How fun. I should post about my daughter and I sobbing to Les Miserables together. I had never seen it and I"m so glad I saw the movie in my honme, where my sobs and snorts could not disrupt anyone, alice was even louder David on the other hand came in and asked 'what happened to Ella Enchanted" Later on he asked why everyone was singing. I loved how at the end that bad police guy (lol his name escapes me) wasn't in "heaven" Alice was the one who pointed that out,