Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Mother's Day

Mother's Day is touch and go around here as far as emotional stability goes (mainly mine). I don't think I ever considered the confusion and anxiety our kids felt from being adopted and then celebrating me, their mom . . . but not their only one. When they were young it never came up. That's why it hit me so hard as the years went on that the lovely day became so filled with venom. You may remember last year's holiday--that was the hardest one yet and I braced myself for a repeat this year. However, it was better. Tyce accepted the assignment to speak in church--that obligation is probably the only thing that got him there. It was down the wire but he made it and did a very fine job. Mary just happened to be in a good state emotionally and gave me no problems about attending church. I know it's crazy to say but getting all four of them there on the same day really does feel like a miracle lately.


My favorite girl and I, with funny Cam jumping up to bomb the photo

Proud mama and my four kiddos. This was all I wanted for Mother's Day, to have them all at church with me.

Close up of these good-looking kids.

Our friend Danette took a picture of the whole family for us.
So Tyce gave a very good talk, not mushy towards me at all, but complimentary to women and mothers everywhere. I sat by Bryce during he opening hymn, "Home Can Be a Heaven on Earth" and he amused me by changing the lyrics in the second verse, which are:

Drawing fam'ly near each week,
We'll keep love burning bright.
Serving Him with cheerful hearts,
We'll grow in truth and light.
Parents teach and lead the way,
Children honor and obey,
Reaching for our home in heaven,
Where we want to stay.

to ones that more fit our situation. Sacrilegious and hilarious.

The Primary kids didn't do a musical number but all of the men and boys came up to the front to sing the closing hymn, "Love At Home." That was very sweet even though I don't know a mother in the world who actually likes that song.

Relief Society was the bomb because we were treated to brunch and socialization with ALL the women of the ward. The men and youth taught the younger classes and Mary was assigned to the nursery! She hung onto her friend Madi like she was going to her execution. She said that the other girls tried to engage the little ones and were rebuffed. Mary sat in the rocking chair pretending to be asleep and was by far the most interesting person in the room to those toddlers. They wouldn't leave her alone! She thought it was funny and she actually had a great time.

After church Bryce made me an awesome lunch.

Beautiful and delicious. Baked cinnamon toast with fresh fruit and lemon cream.

Flowers and a gift.

Cameron made a cool card for me.

My wish for my mom is . . . "to get a Farrai {Ferrari} because she deserves a sports car. And would look fancy in a Farrai."

My mom is good at . . . "cooking. I like it when she reads to me at night when I go to bed. She is a good cook. She makes good chicken."

A picture of me!

Harrison made a super awesome pop-out card for me at home!
Dear Mom, Happy Mother's day. Thank you for all the things you have done for me. Thank you for loving me, taking care of me, and taking me places. I think about you every day and night. You help me whenever I need help. I like when you read to me. you take me to the park and throw me my football. I remember when you read us a book at the park. I love when you do that. Love, Harrison Jones


Wow, what a sweet kid, huh? I loved that letter. On a side note, Harrison has the best handwriting in the family.

Later that night Mary and I played a mega game of Sorry and it came down to both of us waiting on one card. After trailing me, she beat me in the comeback of the century and was thrilled to emerge victorious.

Just chillin' after my defeat.

My whole life I have wanted to be a mother and I feel honored that I am, to four wonderful children. I know that God's plan for me included motherhood through adoption--never a second choice or a consolation prize, but the best, the only plan for my life. I know that down to my core. I have never felt regret or sadness for my path; the only pain I feel is in my own children's struggles to accept their reality. Our time here is a journey and I pray that they come to appreciate and LOVE the life they've been given with us, because I truly appreciate and love the life they've given me.

I am blessed to have a wonderful, loving mother myself, Pat Cook. She is my rock. I am grateful to my mother-in-law Judy Jones for raising an excellent son and for being a good example to us both. I have many great examples of women who are mothers (physically or not), to teach me how to be the best I can be in the most important role I will ever have: MOM.





No comments: